Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

For you Beach Drivers

Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking to go to Assateague on the southern tip of MD.
http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/osv.htm

As for the Axe -- I found out why. When I first called the MD Park and asked about driving / camping on the beach, the Axe was in the list of items he said we "needed", along with the shovel, tow strap, etc. When I just called back, I found that it has to do more with the camping aspect of things and not the driving .... go figure....

Also -- if you read the link above from Assateague -- they state that you need " A vehicle jack sufficient to lift one wheel clear of the sand." I'm not sure how they define this but I'm guessing they are talking more about a hi-lift jack instead of a street tire scissor jack. I'm thinking, for mainly my own sanity, that would be a solid purchase.

Last edited by HookNLadder; 07-24-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HookNLadder
We're looking to go to Assateague on the southern tip of MD.
http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/osv.htm

As for the Axe -- I found out why. When I first called the MD Park and asked about driving / camping on the beach, the Axe was in the list of items he said we "needed", along with the shovel, tow strap, etc. When I just called back, I found that it has to do more with the camping aspect of things and not the driving .... go figure....

Also -- if you read the link above from Assateague -- they state that you need " A vehicle jack sufficient to lift one wheel clear of the sand." I'm not sure how they define this but I'm guessing they are talking more about a hi-lift jack instead of a street tire scissor jack. I'm thinking, for mainly my own sanity, that would be a solid purchase.
Tip I got from folks who visited Assateague recently - air defense weapons. Seriously, bring bug spray. Apparently the mosquitoes are big, massive, and numerous.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HookNLadder
Am I missing anything for taking my jeep on the beach?

Beer!!!

That's for after you park though. I don't condone driving under the influence.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe thats what the axe is for, killing mosquitos.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Default We've been beaching a bunch!

After our last trip - the suggestion of airing down can't be stressed enough - and a way to air back up!

We bought that $48 unit from Costco and have been very happy so far. It is compact and worth it.

The hi lift and strap are great too and someone on one thread had suggested a sand anchor although others have said you can get by in an emergency with burying your spare tire.

About the only other thing is to make sure you have plenty of communications gear - just in case!!

Oh yeah - don't forget the tide tables too! Have fun - we're in the mountains this week!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

yeah dude i go fishing on the beach almost everyweek here in louisiana the only thing i bring is a tow strap and never used it i don't even mess with my air pressure i just use 4 hi so i don't strain nothing and don't gun it or slam on the breaks and your good i have a 2 door x and i was going out there with the stock tires on it and never had any prob i had a buddy now in an extended cab full size chevy tried to pull out there and got burried down to his frame and i had my stock street tires and no tow strap we ended up having to dig him out with our hands only took about 30 mins but just take it slow and don't gun it or slam on the breaks and don't make sharp turns and you should be good
Old 07-25-2007, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

One thing you did forget............

A 12-pack of beer!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goofybutsane
yeah dude i go fishing on the beach almost everyweek here in louisiana the only thing i bring is a tow strap and never used it i don't even mess with my air pressure i just use 4 hi so i don't strain nothing and don't gun it or slam on the breaks and your good i have a 2 door x and i was going out there with the stock tires on it and never had any prob i had a buddy now in an extended cab full size chevy tried to pull out there and got burried down to his frame and i had my stock street tires and no tow strap we ended up having to dig him out with our hands only took about 30 mins but just take it slow and don't gun it or slam on the breaks and don't make sharp turns and you should be good
I heard a thick country accent while reading this post for some odd reason...
Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

haha yeah blackmarket and that's before i set up the tent and crack open the 12 pack of beer hope the fish bite before i pass out in the tent
Old 07-29-2007, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I fish/drive on the beach quite a bit. Haven't been stuck yet, I know my time is coming. I always pack a shovel, a 5 gal bucket with some rolled up strips of carpet. I've seen carpet used and it works. Just put it down in front of your tires for traction, the bucket is for pouring water around your tires to harden the sand.

Quick Reply: For you Beach Drivers