Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

4 days in Moab in a stock Rubicon...

Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 days in Moab in a stock Rubicon...

Heading to Moab with my family in March, in my stock 2012 JKUR, and I'm looking to put a list together of some great trails for our visit.

Who better to ask for recommendations than you guys? It might be nice to start out easy so everyone gets used to things.

It's a bonus if the trails are no more than 3 hours or so, and/or if they have some cool scenery (mines? Dinosaur footprints? Etc...).

As a note, I have been to Moab 3 times, but mostly for biking...with just a bit of off roading on each trip. I'd classify myself as a solid intermediate off roader, the main thing is that I may need an alternate path if an obstacle is too "scary" for the wife and kids.

One more thing, unfortunately I may have to do the trails without a chase vehicle, so keep that in mind.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the Moab 4x4 book? If not buy it and go through it. For a stock Jeep there's quite a few trails that aren't too scary and easy. Fins-n-Things is a great start and see how the family likes that. If they like that, then move on to the harder stuff. I'm sure a stock JK can do Hells Revenge as well. I don't think there's any areas to get high centered on from what I remember. Don't remember all the places we went while down there, but saw the old mine ruins and the ancient paints. If there's no snow there's a large mountain you can climb high up and has park at the end and very nice view points once near the top, but don't remember the name. Find the Moab book and you'll find the answers though
Old 01-08-2013, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Your jeep can definitely do Fin's & Things and Hell's Revenge. Good trails that are not but have lots of scenery and are just plain old fun!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by otservice
Do you have the Moab 4x4 book? If not buy it and go through it. For a stock Jeep there's quite a few trails that aren't too scary and easy. Fins-n-Things is a great start and see how the family likes that. If they like that, then move on to the harder stuff. I'm sure a stock JK can do Hells Revenge as well. I don't think there's any areas to get high centered on from what I remember. Don't remember all the places we went while down there, but saw the old mine ruins and the ancient paints. If there's no snow there's a large mountain you can climb high up and has park at the end and very nice view points once near the top, but don't remember the name. Find the Moab book and you'll find the answers though
My friend and I took our two stock Rubicons through Hells Revenge with the help of a local guide with no trouble. It certainly helps that you have a spotter that has experience on that trail but it is very doable with a stock Rubicon. Don't miss the Hot Tub! Lots of fun.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Fins for sure. Hell's Revenge is a pretty easy run, really, but the exit is HORRIBLE and getting worse every day. You'll bang around coming out, for sure.

Top of the World is a fun run, but takes a bit over your time allotment, especially if you add in the road time.

Long Canyon is fun. So is Tower Arch and Chicken Corners.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is great info guys!

Can you post a link to that book? I have a few Moab book, but not sure if I have the one you are referring to?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jdover

My friend and I took our two stock Rubicons through Hells Revenge with the help of a local guide with no trouble. It certainly helps that you have a spotter that has experience on that trail but it is very doable with a stock Rubicon. Don't miss the Hot Tub! Lots of fun.
Is the hot tub something I can do easily? Pretty sure I saw a bunch of jeeps roll in it on YouTube?! Rolling is definitely not on my to-do list!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tachyon

Is the hot tub something I can do easily? Pretty sure I saw a bunch of jeeps roll in it on YouTube?! Rolling is definitely not on my to-do list!
No, when we did it it was dry and with professional coaching. It can be disastrous unless you really know what you are doing. I would not try it again.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just one week until departure...any other trails I need to hit?

Can I also ask for camping recommendations? Cabins or tent sites...
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by tachyon
Do not do the hot tubs alone.....

Quick Reply: 4 days in Moab in a stock Rubicon...