Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Blackberry & JKForum to the rescue

Old 10-17-2009, 10:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackberry & JKForum to the rescue

So I was on the trail today and busted my transfer case - so I thought. Turns out the cable slipped off the linkage underneath due to some stupid little plastic bead breaking. After a moment of panic and thoughts of calling a tow truck up to haul me from the bottom of the trail (stuck in 4L). I decided to whip out my handy-dandy Blackberry and search the forum. After reading a thread from another user with the same issue and a subsequent remedy I crawled back under, found the problem, and wahlaa... Back in business. Now this isn't the first time I've broke down on the trail but it is the first time I resorted to asking my phone to get me home. -ET phone home?-
Just thought I'd share my story. Oh and if anybody knows how to permanently secure this cable to the TF linkage please respond. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 PM
JK Jedi

Yeah it happened to me too.........but I did call for a tow. Luckily Chrysler paid for it under warranty. Do some more searching as I know a few guys that posted remedies for this linkage problem.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 10-17-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bertha
So I was on the trail today and busted my transfer case - so I thought. Turns out the cable slipped off the linkage underneath due to some stupid little plastic bead breaking. After a moment of panic and thoughts of calling a tow truck up to haul me from the bottom of the trail (stuck in 4L). I decided to whip out my handy-dandy Blackberry and search the forum. After reading a thread from another user with the same issue and a subsequent remedy I crawled back under, found the problem, and wahlaa... Back in business. Now this isn't the first time I've broke down on the trail but it is the first time I resorted to asking my phone to get me home. -ET phone home?-
Just thought I'd share my story. Oh and if anybody knows how to permanently secure this cable to the TF linkage please respond. Thanks.
Glad you made it out OK...Isn't TECHNOLOGY & JK-FORUM great

BTW, here's a link to what other forum members have done (they have been using a zip tie or cotter pin as a fix).

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=92162&page=2

Old 10-18-2009, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're under warranty have the dealer replace the cable for you. Once they do that give yourself extra insurance and do that zip strap thing on it to ensure it stays on.

Had the same thing happen to me out in Moab the first day on the trails but managed to fix it with a heavy duty zip strap.

Good Luck!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me too, but luckily I had a jeeper friend with me who got me going in 2 wheel drive to get to the dealer! We need a more sturdy permanet fix than a zip tie.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am amazed at how often this issue is showing up. It just happened to me yesterday!

Funny thing is, I knew exactly what the issue was because of an accidental sighting of the problem on this forum. (Thank You JK Forum!)

I know we give Chrysler a lot of $#!T for the amount of plastic added each year, but this is ridiculous. This is a big functioning part of the vehicle, not the freaking air dam...

It's a rant, but seriously how does this leave the drawing board?

ok rant off... Funny thing is, by the time I have this fixed by the dealership, Chrysler will have paid 30x the cost of a decent bolt and nut... just in labor.

Quick Reply: Blackberry & JKForum to the rescue