Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Deer Valley and Slickrock 8/5/08

Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deer Valley and Slickrock 8/5/08

Headed out with a few of my club members from Motherload Rockcrawlers sunday for the maiden voyage in the JK. I've been itching to take this thing out since I finished it a few weeks ago. Last run I did was Barrett Lake trail before I sold my YJ back in August. It's nothing to crazy. 3" lift, 35's

Anyways, the run went off without a hitch. Typically this time of the year, the trail is pretty dusty, but we went the day after a storm rolled through. There was just enough water on the ground that it packed the trail a bit and there was absolutely no dust. It was an amazing day. We headed in to Deer Valley from highway 88, and exited from highway 4. From there we headed down 4 to Lake Alpine where we found the trailhead to slickrock.

The only real obstacle of the day was the stairstep at the end of slickrock. I was 3rd in line. Our president Glenn took his cherokee up the stairstep without much effort. Locked front and rear, with a custom longarm in the front and 33's, it's pretty much point and shoot.

One of our prospective members had a YJ, sprung under on 32's locked front and rear. He tried and tried for about 10 minutes and just couldnt get up it. With the little bit of water at the bottom he just couldnt get traction.

I was up next. I already picked my line which was a bit more to the right than the rest of the folks. I used to compete in the professional rockcrawling competitions so the line I picked came from experience. It was either going to be too high up to the right and tip me over, or it was going to be the best line I could pick and make me avoid the hole at the bottom. Thank god it was the second of those choices. The extra wheelbase with the JK made it easy. I was a bit worried with an open front and a limited slip in the back that I might have a few difficulties, but I dont even think I had to stop or backup.

After I popped to the top another member lorien picked his line in his TJ and drove right to the top. Took a little bit of backing up to clear the large boulder in front of him but it was nothing difficult in his jeep.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's some more pics from the run

Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Very nice

How is Deer Valley in comparison to Slickrock as far as difficulty and obstacles?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....looks like everyone had a blast. All awesome looking jeeps. Did you have your Sahara unlimited quick disco'ed???? Thanks for the great photos!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Both are about the same. DeerValley is a bit longer than slickrock. Slickrock has a few more obstacles that you can have fun on. Both can easily be done in a stock rig without many difficulties

Yes my JK is quick disco'd, unfortunately due to some politics on the forums I cant talk about the lift or the quick disco's due to who the vendor is
Old 10-07-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pics
Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

very nice. i went through deer valley back in july but not in the jk. i kinda figured i'd be dragging the bottom through some spots in there. can't wait to go back with a lifted jk.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

man that's my kinda wheelin right there!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great Pics
Old 10-07-2008, 10:27 PM
JK Newbie

i like that .... thats FUN! thanks for the pics

Quick Reply: Deer Valley and Slickrock 8/5/08