Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Goler Wash / Slate Range 011009

Old 01-11-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goler Wash / Slate Range 011009

Some friends and us decided to make a run up Goler Wash to Barker Ranch on Saturday. Matt and Jen (Bluegrass Jeepers from this forum) were in their 4-door X and Jen's sister Denise and her husband Keith were in a TJ. We left Victorville at 8am and our first stop was the X-15 memorial off of Trona Road.

After spending a short time there, we headed to the Trona Pinnacles and let the kids run around for a while.

We then headed into Trona and topped off our tanks. After that it was on to Ballarat to air down and disconnect. Of course we made the older kids do the work.

We checked out the old cemetery and some of the building remains and then headed out.

Made a quick stop for the geocache just outside of Ballarat

and then headed up Goler wash.

Stopped at the mining camp for some site seeing.

and then on to Barker Ranch for lunch.

We headed back out of Golar Wash and once at the entrance we decided to take the Fish Canyon Escape Trail, also known as the Slate Range Trail over the Slate Mountains and into Trona.

None of us had ever been on this trail before but I had loaded waypoints from a couple of different guidebooks in my GPS before we left (Which was a good thing because there are several side trails on the Panamint Valley side and it's easy to get sidetracked...even with a GPS...trust me...I know). The trail is real rocky and hard to see in several spots before you enter Fish Canyon but there are a couple of rusted markers with "ET" on them (Escape Trail) to help you find the way.

As we entered Fish Canyon, we stopped for the geocache there

and then a quick stop at the historic marker.

and then it was on the trail, which is narrow in some places and follows the ridgeline for a few miles.

While moving along the ridgeline, we watched the moon rise over the Panamints

and a short time later, looking in the opposite direction, we saw the sun set over Trona.

We came out at Trona Road, aired up and reconnected with the moon behind us, and then headed home.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Fantastic pics and story! It is so great to know that Jeepin' is a family affair. Thank you so very much!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 PM
JK Super Freak

WHOOT! Thanks for sharing, looks like you all had a great time and beautiful pics. It is on my todo list.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 AM
JK Jedi

Great pics, looks like a great time!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Escape Trail was great but seemed almost unused.
There were many places along the beginning of the trail that I questioned whether we were even on a trail it seemed so feint.
The waypoints for the GPS helped out immensly, not to mention my husband's great navagating skills!
Toad- I am also looking forward to seeing you guys at Moab!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Awesome pictures!!! The Trona pinnacles I have been wanting to see as well as the trails you went on near Death Valley. I ran Echo Pass from the Charles Wells book the weekend before on our first trip to Death Valley. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-trails-tales-71/death-valley-echo-canyon-67290/
I can't wait to check out the other trails in the area.

The pictures of the moon rising were spectacular!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

So how was the road going up Goler Wash to Barker Ranch? I'm considering going up there in the spring. My husband and I would be going alone in one Jeep. I have one guidebook that describes the trail as a Class V with a series of four dry waterfalls that you have to go up/down. It makes it sound extremely difficult. But then another guidebook I have rates it as a 4 out of 10 and makes it sound fairly easy. When I was at Ballarate in Nov., some guys on KTM's suggested going up from the other side. They said it was the easier of the two routes. Any thoughts?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jckid
So how was the road going up Goler Wash to Barker Ranch? I'm considering going up there in the spring. My husband and I would be going alone in one Jeep. I have one guidebook that describes the trail as a Class V with a series of four dry waterfalls that you have to go up/down. It makes it sound extremely difficult. But then another guidebook I have rates it as a 4 out of 10 and makes it sound fairly easy. When I was at Ballarate in Nov., some guys on KTM's suggested going up from the other side. They said it was the easier of the two routes. Any thoughts?
It's basically a dirt road. I think I used 4-HI on one small section...maybe 20 feet...at the beginning.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JeepCacher
It's basically a dirt road. I think I used 4-HI on one small section...maybe 20 feet...at the beginning.
Thanks for the info. That's the idea I got from looking at the pictures, but I thought maybe you didn't post the really extreme pics or something. It's funny because one of the books I have actually says it can take "anywhere from a few hours to a FEW DAYS" to get up Goler Wash "depending on the conditions at the time"! I'll have to take a closer look at my book and see how old it is. I'm thinking it might be pretty dated. At any rate, I'm encouraged about checking this out when I head out to DV now. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Goler Wash / Slate Range 011009