Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Heading out to Colorado from Boston Ma

Old 08-14-2016, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heading out to Colorado from Boston Ma

Gonna be heading out to Colorado solo on September 3 for approx 3 weeks. Was wondering if there is anyway you can hook up with a jeep club or other members for some trail rides and sight seeing. Thinking of hitting the San Juan area to explore. Pretty much up for anything but nothing to extreme cause I have to drive home after all said and done. Looking for advice on best way to go about this.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you go into Ouray you'll find somebody to wheel with. The trails are pretty jeep friendly. There are hundreds of stock rental jeeps running them. Just stay off of Poughkeepsy, it's a tougher one.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lake city to Ouray on your way in. Then you can do a lot of different exploring to tulluride, Silverton etc.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 08-16-2016, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I saw a book called Colorado Trails - southwest region by Peter Massey, Jeanne Wilson, Angela Titus. There were maps but it also had descriptions of everything along the way by mileage. If you were headed east on Engineer for instance, it would say at mile 6.4 was a pit toilet, or a mining building or whatever. It would tell you what the intersections were and a description of the trail ahead. I bought a nice map at one of the guide shops out there. It was $13.
I wish I had made it down to Silverton. It was described to me as an old west Hollywood set except it was real. We did spend a lot of time at Animas looking through all the buildings and stuff. Really cool history.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just moved from CO to Boston back in Nov....you will have fun. Def recommend that book, I have my copy somewhere

Quick Reply: Heading out to Colorado from Boston Ma