Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

How difficult are 3.5/5 trails?

Old 11-10-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IcedOutEskimo
I wanted to try the whipsaw trail in my stock 2012 rubicon. I've never been on any real trails but I've done forest roads in my half ton pickup before, Ashely as a little mudding. I would be going with my wife and friends buy my vehicle will be the only one on the trail. i will have a winch by then.Any opinions?
http://www.expeditionportal.com/over...=Whipsaw_Trail
Do you have an automatic trans. There is a cooler line that runs under the trans and is very vulnerable. But either way if you plan to do serious trails in stock for I suggest some skids to at least let you slide over obstacles without damage.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I have yet to do the Whipshaw myself, I'll try to offer a little advice based on what I know.
You probably want to wait til next summer to have a go at it as there will be a lot of snow up there. I believe it's all gone by July.
Pretty sure the Ruby will be fine but you do want to bring at least another vehicle just in case. Also pretty sure that there's plenty of bypasses for the difficult stuff.
Check out some of the BC Jeep forums cause there's always groups of people going up. Who knows, maybe I'll see you up there summer.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I've done this trail.

I ran it in our 2002 WJ Grand Cherokee with quadra drive. I had 31" Revo A/T tires. 3" of lift, rock rails which you will use 1-3 times. I also had a winch and roof rack as we had to be self contained on the trip as we did multiple trails with a LOT Of time in the dirt.

A stock Rubicon 2door or unlimited will be just fine. You WILL need your winch depending on the time of year.

We started the trail on or around June 20th and met several snow fields. The only way to get across was 4-high and pure speed. All but the last two guys in the ground were stuck. (by the time the last two guys came through, it was packed down like a road) A winch is the only way out. The snow fields are pretty long, so a winch extension is a must or a pull-pal.

There are a few "difficult" lines you can take; however, the main trail is doable in a stock JK with a winch.

A chain saw is good to take if you are the first on the trail like we were. There were many downed trees that there was no way around and no easy way over, short of a winch or a chain saw.

The worst thing about the trail are mosquitos!!! Get a good repellant with 20% DEET.

Be prepared for changing temperatures. We went from 114 degrees F. (Yes, it was HOT!!! This was when everything up there was on fire about 7 or 8 years ago) So, went from 114 degrees down to 25 degrees in a 24hr period. Pack accordingly.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a big JK group run this past summer & stock JKs can get through due to the bypasses but a few areas the stockers got stuck. The trails in BC change every week due to the rain, snow, wind & then heat...repeat again etc. So you might go through one day full of snow & 2 weeks later its bone dry lol With a stock JK you'll bottom out in lots of spots & it's best to do this trail with somebody who's done it before and maybe 2-5 vehicles if it's your first time. It's easy to get lost & stuck out there.

Next summer there'll be another group run you can do, although people do run it year round. A group just did it the other day and there's a foot or two or snow up there now. Pics are on the local Jeep club website.

Last edited by otservice; 11-20-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

I don't know that trail but the first real mod I made to my two door jk was the evo skid plate kit that protects most of the bad stuff exposed under your Jeep

For next season I'll be lifted 3" and have rock rails

Matthew
Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Three thoughts:

If you're ready to go it alone on a remote trail, you can rent a satellite phone. That's what I do, it's cheap emergency insurance.

Whether your alone or not, it's good practice leave your travel itinerary with someone. Back in the old days I'd copy a map before leaving, but now I'll text-message one of my older kids with the info just before leaving cell phone range.

Before attempting a difficult spot, walk it over and plan where to put the tires. If you don't have an experienced spotter that you can trust, I've marked the path I want to take with whatever is available (sticks, rocks, taking a leak, etc.). And, stacking rocks and shoveling dirt beforehand is way easier than getting un-stuck.

Have fun

Quick Reply: How difficult are 3.5/5 trails?