Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Mark Doiron, Torn, High Roller and His Wife Do Moab

Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It was. The fires passed about 200 yards south of my home. The homes of several friends were destroyed, however. It was the news of those fires that made the decision for me to leave Moab a day early. But I'll be back next year!
Wow glad your home is ok, sorry to hear about the neighbors

Mark the pics of your trip out are absolutely awesome, you always have some great pics, you wheel in some beautiful country and then you get to goto Moab too, I am jealous lol
Old 04-13-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
In this pic, is that a trail you drive on, hike on?
That is "Shafer Trail Road" as the sign at the top says. It's wide enough for two vehicles to pass--here and there, but mostly somewhere else than where you run into oncoming "traffic." LOL. It's also very popular with bicyclists. At the bottom of the canyon, after a series of sharp, narrow switchbacks along that same cliff face in the picture, you'll meet up with the "White Rim Trail Road." White Rim Trail runs about 90 miles around the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park, then comes up on the west side (the photo was shot on the east side, just below the Island in the Sky visitor center). At the bottom there is also a turn-off for Moab, though I've never taken that particular trail.

The really cool thing is to look up at the viewpoint where I shot that picture as you descend, knowing that everyone you see up there is wishing they were riding with you into the depths of this fantastic place.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Mark, Thank you for sharing the pictures. I for one appreciate the shots and obviously some great shots as they generated questions in my head about the trails, like the road half way up the cliff and what it was like driving on it knowing that if a tire blew out an you hit the wall you could go over.

Totally awesome, The Creator surely did a number there.
Thanks, CIJeep. Actually, I was quite comfortable on this, my second descent into the canyon. But, during my first in 2007 my 16 year old son was driving and I was quite seriously nervous. Now, as for High Roller, he's got a fear of heights and he said over the CB during our ascent, "If we encounter anyone coming along this road, British rules may apply 'cuz I ain't giving up the side of the road against the canyon face!"
Old 04-14-2009, 03:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All beautiful shots. Incredible land we can go see with our Jeeps. I will definately have to make a vacation out there.

I like this shot with the mirror image in the pool.

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
BABY LION BACK
Old 04-14-2009, 06:04 AM
wdw
JK Enthusiast

WOW MARK you spent a couple days with John and still have your wallet. I need to know your trick.

Really you could not have ran into a nicer couple. Great pictures. John told me he had a blast.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome
Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Fantastic collection of pictures! I'm so glad you shared them with us. Thanks! I thank God your home was spared from the fire and sorry for your friend and neighbors.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:30 AM
JK Jedi

Great pics! Next time I would love to do an over-nighter and run White Rim Trail.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Great pics! Next time I would love to do an over-nighter and run White Rim Trail.
I really want to do this--this is what I'm building my rig for. Rock crawling is fun, but I especially enjoy traveling and seeing the wonderful places that a Jeep opens up to us.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Junkie

Great pictures and Jeeps, thanks for posting!

Quick Reply: Mark Doiron, Torn, High Roller and His Wife Do Moab