Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

McCaslin Mountain

Old 07-23-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCaslin Mountain

Just back from my first visit to McCaslin Mountain in Wisconsin. I didn't see even half the trails, but I was there alone and didn't want to push my luck. Finally, the misquitos and ticks drove me out! Gotta Love Wisconsin

Last edited by dsword; 07-28-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been up to McCaslin twice now, both with groups and it's a great place to wheel. Did you run the Pipeline as well? Check out wi4x4.com, plenty of activity.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:47 AM
JK Jedi

Cool pic. Any more? I hate ticks to.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kachad
I've been up to McCaslin twice now, both with groups and it's a great place to wheel. Did you run the Pipeline as well? Check out wi4x4.com, plenty of activity.
I've been on the pipeline many times, back when I was a much younger man (1980 to 1985) and into the mud thing, not so much anymore! We used to spend whole weekends on the pipeline, camping where ever we wanted. Back then, it wasn't restricted, or considered a county highway like it is now. It was 'anything goes'! I do plan on trying the pipeline again yet this year, maybe after it cools down a little.

I found the McCaslin info at the site you listed and got a great PDF format map from a guy there. It's the same map they hand out, but this color version is original quality and you can actually read the GPS coordinate grid numbers. If anyone wants a copy, just send a PM with your email address.

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Cool pic. Any more? I hate ticks to.
Sure thing, I've got more pics - I'll post some after I get home from work. The pics don't do justice to seeing it live though. What I thought looked like a very difficult trail, looks pretty easy in the pictures. I guess you have to be standing there on the incline to realize....

The trails are generally more demanding than what I had imagined. In terms of difficulty, there are medium, hard and extreme. Sometimes you have to go through a hard trail to get to a medium trail, so I should not have gone back in there alone and without a winch (ordering this week). There were places where I could've used a spotter, and it would've been a heck of a long walk out if I had broken down, but that just made it more exciting I guess.

Last edited by dsword; 07-24-2008 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Added some years
Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad you had a good time up the, DS. Check out "North Woods Overland" as well. If you're in central WI - should be pretty close. I plan on heading out there in the next two months or so. Also, if Gilbert MN is within your driving range, that is a GREAT place to go. MN-Jeep.com is another forum you may want to browse. There's a trail event in Sept. in River Falls - sounds like a good time.

http://www.northwoodsoverland.com/
Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Good stuff!

Thanks for the info! Good stuff. I'll have to get over that way one of these days.

Quick Reply: McCaslin Mountain