Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Missouri Trails

Old 08-11-2015, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also
Ike to do some family wheeling
Old 08-12-2015, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gdp0341
I would also
Ike to do some family wheeling
Glad to see another Jeff City jeeper on here.

If you interested in some good wheeling, Midwest Jeepthing out of St Louis is having what they call Jeepstock at Smorr down by Springfield September 18-20. Smorr is a great place to wheel has lots of trails for stock jeeps to custom built rigs on 40's and the campground is one of the best to stay at. The event is family friendly, we are heading down Thursday night and will be coming back Sunday after noon, its about 2-1/2 hours drive. The Midwest Jeepthing SMORR ? Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch You do not need to be a member to attend this event, but you do have to register.

Last edited by tae73; 08-12-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

I was going to go to Jeep Stock but due to work/ coworker I'm not going to be able to make it., and yes I'm pissed.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tae73
Unfortunately there is not may forest roads to hit that are still open. I have heard years ago there was but they are now closed. I have yet to travel this one but Glade top Trail down around Ava. Ozark jeep thing hits it regulary and sounds like there are a few trails to run. But they do say they are tight and you will get some pin striping. Mark Twain National Forest - Glade Top National Forest Scenic Byway

I have run a nice single track roads in the Ozark scenic waterway near Eminence its off NN it takes you to Rocky Falls. You can continue down the road to the current river, the single track road is off NN takes you to a old mill called Klepzig Mill. The road doesnt show up on the park map, but its there on the county maps. I do know forest ranger run the road and was friendly. Ozark National Scenic Riverways (U.S. National Park Service)

Another one is down in Arkansas and I found it from Mark Doiron that is on this forum called Ozark Overland Trail. Mark also has some youtube videos of it. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...ail-ar-245124/

A link to all the USDA maps USDA Forest Service FSGeodata Clearinghouse - FSTopo Map Images / States & Territories If you have a smart phone with gps download a app called PDF Maps. Download the maps you want then you can view them on your phone when your out of cell service with your location on the map.

If none of you have been to Smorr you need to check it out great place to wheel and nice campground/shower house. He is open Friday to Sunday and some holiday Mondays. He has trails from easy to extreme, his maps are well marked and has signs at the start of each with name and rating.
Thank you for the info, I stopped by the Forest Service office in Rolla today and inquired about where one could go to trail ride IE get out in nature, take some photos so on and so fourth, I was handed a map of the Mark Twain National forest and was told, go to the court house and buy a permit for $15 and I would have access to all the roads on the map. Now, I need to look at this map and make sure I wouldn't be buying a permit for camping or just to drive any old road. So once I spread this map out across my pool table and take a close look at it, I will post more of my findings. Like I said before, Thank you guys for posting the info you have... You are all AWESOME!!!!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

There is a group in Springfield MO called Ozark Jeep Thing. Many of those folks do just what you describe. Some also go to SMORR and such. So perhaps a good balance.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Subscribed! I'm interested in all the spots to do some mild wheeling in MO. I don't want to trash my Jeep either.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WoodrowJKUW
I was handed a map of the Mark Twain National forest and was told, go to the court house and buy a permit for $15 and I would have access to all the roads on the map.
That is the first time I have heard of needing a permit, did they say why?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

No they didn't and I didn't think to ask.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by WoodrowJKUW
No they didn't and I didn't think to ask.
Odd they sent you to the court house. Maybe a mix of NF and locally managed lands? Otherwise a federal lands permit should suffice. And you don't get those at a court house.

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm
Old 08-16-2015, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Did you specify that you would be in a street legal jeep? The ranger may have thought you meant an ATV and a quick Google shows that they require special permits for those.

Quick Reply: Missouri Trails