Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Moab Help/Advice/Opinions Please.....

 
Old 09-14-2018, 04:02 PM
  #51  
JK Jedi
 
TheDirtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southwest Reno, NV
Posts: 5,123
Likes: 0
Liked 68 Times in 58 Posts
Default

IF you are doing cliffs then Moab will be nothing as far as the trail goes. There are some tough spots but most of the place is really pretty stocker friendly. Not really rocks but one giant rock carved out by the river and wind over millions of years. Traction is insane and the views are stunning. Wide open trails too not the tight twisty stuff at the cliffs.
TheDirtman is offline  
Old 09-30-2018, 08:28 PM
  #52  
JK Freak
 
tjkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweet Home, TX
Posts: 831
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Moab was awesome!

We are still in route back. Taking our time with the 2YO. On a side note, she loved the trails. She is obsessed with rocks and Jeeps and trucks, and it turns out she really gets a kick out of the bumpyness of the trail.

We didn't get near as many trails done as I expected, do to mechanical issues (our friends Jeep not mine), but that just gives us more reason to go back.

We did half of Steel Bender, before we started running out of day light. The next day we did Little Lions Back, and Fins and Things. We also did 3/4 of Top of the World before there was a mechanical failure that sent us back to the house. Later, on our own, we went up Hurrah Pass just to see what it was about. It was pretty cool. Arches and Canyon Lands are crazy beautiful.

That last section of Fins and Things is like being on a different planet. Probably my favorite trail ever. Haven't even gotten all the way home yet, and am looking forward to going back. Have to wait till the kid is a little older so we can make better time on the road.

Already modifying my Jeep parts list in light of how the Jeep did out there.

Happy Jeeping y'all!
tjkamp is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 10:53 AM
  #53  
JK Newbie
 
Big-Foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Gold Canyon, AZ
Posts: 6
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Good report!!!
We will be there the first week in November. I hope it’s not too crazy busy at that time.... We plan on camping in the BLM..
Big-Foot is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 10:55 AM
  #54  
JK Jedi
Thread Starter
 
resharp001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Willow Park, TX
Posts: 4,297
Liked 212 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tjkamp View Post
Moab was awesome!

We are still in route back. Taking our time with the 2YO. On a side note, she loved the trails. She is obsessed with rocks and Jeeps and trucks, and it turns out she really gets a kick out of the bumpyness of the trail.

We didn't get near as many trails done as I expected, do to mechanical issues (our friends Jeep not mine), but that just gives us more reason to go back.

We did half of Steel Bender, before we started running out of day light. The next day we did Little Lions Back, and Fins and Things. We also did 3/4 of Top of the World before there was a mechanical failure that sent us back to the house. Later, on our own, we went up Hurrah Pass just to see what it was about. It was pretty cool. Arches and Canyon Lands are crazy beautiful.

That last section of Fins and Things is like being on a different planet. Probably my favorite trail ever. Haven't even gotten all the way home yet, and am looking forward to going back. Have to wait till the kid is a little older so we can make better time on the road.

Already modifying my Jeep parts list in light of how the Jeep did out there.

Happy Jeeping y'all!
Safe travels home! Was the skyline pretty clear for you? BTW, do you have any plans to go to Hidden Falls for the annual Fall Crawl on 10-26 through 10-28?

Last edited by resharp001; 10-01-2018 at 06:16 PM.
resharp001 is online now  
Old 10-01-2018, 04:50 PM
  #55  
JK Newbie
 
chiapeteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mentor, Oh
Posts: 75
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

So my gf and I will be making our trip out west starting about Oct. 16. Hope to spend her birthday in Rocky Mountain National Park on the 21st. After that we are heading to Montrose on the 22nd and doing the Rimrocker trail on the 23rd and staying in Moab from the 23rd through the 28th. I am hoping to do Hell's Revenge, Fins and Things, Elephant Hill, Colorado River Overlook Trail, Top of the World. We will also be trying to do some camping in the Squaw Flats campground again to do some more night photography. After Moab, we are heading up to Jensen Utah and Dinosaur National Moument. The gf loves dinosaurs and they have one hell of a display there that I got to see when I was working in Ogden.

We will be traveling by ourselves and do not have any experience with rock crawling so we will more than likely be bypassing most of the obstacles on the trails. We've done trails such as logging and gas well roads in WV. I have no desire to flop my Jeep even though it is built for this kind of stuff.

If anyone else will be there and wants to try and run some trails together, we wouldn't be opposed to it. Feel free to PM me and maybe we can get together while there. We will be staying at the Comfort Suites while there and maintaining our room there even when camping. Nothing like using reward points for free nights!
chiapeteater is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 05:45 PM
  #56  
JK Super Freak
 
dmwil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Danville, Indiana
Posts: 1,277
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chiapeteater View Post
So my gf and I will be making our trip out west starting about Oct. 16. Hope to spend her birthday in Rocky Mountain National Park on the 21st. After that we are heading to Montrose on the 22nd and doing the Rimrocker trail on the 23rd and staying in Moab from the 23rd through the 28th. I am hoping to do Hell's Revenge, Fins and Things, Elephant Hill, Colorado River Overlook Trail, Top of the World. We will also be trying to do some camping in the Squaw Flats campground again to do some more night photography. After Moab, we are heading up to Jensen Utah and Dinosaur National Moument. The gf loves dinosaurs and they have one hell of a display there that I got to see when I was working in Ogden.

We will be traveling by ourselves and do not have any experience with rock crawling so we will more than likely be bypassing most of the obstacles on the trails. We've done trails such as logging and gas well roads in WV. I have no desire to flop my Jeep even though it is built for this kind of stuff.

If anyone else will be there and wants to try and run some trails together, we wouldn't be opposed to it. Feel free to PM me and maybe we can get together while there. We will be staying at the Comfort Suites while there and maintaining our room there even when camping. Nothing like using reward points for free nights!
You'll be there about the same time as a couple buddies and I. We're leaving on the 18th and will arrive in Montrose on the 19th. We'll do the Rimrocker mostly on the 20th, and may spill over to the 21st. Then it's Moab until we leave on the 25th. We're also doing Hell's Revenge, Finns N Things, Elephant Hill, and then either a couple others or maybe part of White Rim. I'll PM you. We'd love to meet up. There is also a guy and his wife from another part of Moab that might run a trail or two with us. We're planning to go on enough rough stuff to have fun, but not break Jeeps. Plus, as of the moment, we've got a bone stock 2010 JKU going with us, so we'll have to stay within it's limits. (Although I think it would surprise some folks as to what it can do in the hands of a skilled driver.) Anyway, it is good to run multiple Jeeps for spotting and help, if needed. Right now, the group consists of me in my JLUR, my buddy in his 2012 2 door Rubi. Two other friends are saying they are going, but are a bit shaky.
dmwil is offline  
Old 10-01-2018, 06:52 PM
  #57  
JK Newbie
 
chiapeteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mentor, Oh
Posts: 75
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dmwil View Post
You'll be there about the same time as a couple buddies and I. We're leaving on the 18th and will arrive in Montrose on the 19th. We'll do the Rimrocker mostly on the 20th, and may spill over to the 21st. Then it's Moab until we leave on the 25th. We're also doing Hell's Revenge, Finns N Things, Elephant Hill, and then either a couple others or maybe part of White Rim. I'll PM you. We'd love to meet up. There is also a guy and his wife from another part of Moab that might run a trail or two with us. We're planning to go on enough rough stuff to have fun, but not break Jeeps. Plus, as of the moment, we've got a bone stock 2010 JKU going with us, so we'll have to stay within it's limits. (Although I think it would surprise some folks as to what it can do in the hands of a skilled driver.) Anyway, it is good to run multiple Jeeps for spotting and help, if needed. Right now, the group consists of me in my JLUR, my buddy in his 2012 2 door Rubi. Two other friends are saying they are going, but are a bit shaky.

I just responded to your PM. Looking forward to it and meeting some fellow Jeep enthusiasts!
chiapeteater is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 08:22 AM
  #58  
JK Freak
 
tjkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweet Home, TX
Posts: 831
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by resharp001
Safe travels home! Was the skyline pretty clear for you? BTW, do you have any plans to go to Hidden Falls for the annual Fall Crawl on 10-26 through 10-28?
The sky's were perfectly clear, most of the time.

The day before we left it got a little hazy, they said due to two lightning strike wild fires further north in Utah.

Not sure about the hidden falls run. Have to see what is going on with work. We are still very busy, and I've been away quite a bit for this trip. Still have to check the schedule and see if I working or not.
tjkamp is offline  

Quick Reply: Moab Help/Advice/Opinions Please.....


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: