Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Moab October 5-8 Disaster Trip (trail damage)

Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moab October 5-8 Disaster Trip (trail damage)

Left for Moab last Tuesday. Just after getting camp setup we decided to hit the first section of Fins N Things since it was close. It was just about dark as we got to the trail head.

After finishing that we decided to play on baby lions back for a bit before running into town for some food. That is where the trip would become something we didn't plan on.

On the back side of baby lions back my friend tried several times to make it up the steepest climb. The rain of course didn't help matters. On his last attempt he tried climbing real slow. He started to get up. As he climbed a bit the jeep slipped and bounced twice. On the second bounce we heard a loud "SNAP" sound. It was a sound that told everybody something really bad just happened. As he tried to back up there was a loud click sound coming out of the rear of his jeep. It even made it difficult for the jeep to move. We decided to leave the Jeep until morning to see what was wrong.

Here is what happened:

This is the pinion gear. These teeth were completely chewed off. Here is the other side showing what it SHOULD look like:

Of course, we didn't get this out right away. Fortunately my buddy brought ALL of his tools. It took us an entire day to take apart the rear end and put it back together. What we had to do was take off the rear drive shaft and pull the gears. Once put back together, he would be able to drive out... in 4 wheel drive with only his front wheels pulling. It took so long because neither of us had taken a differential apart before, we weren't positive it WAS the pinion or gears although we had a pretty good educated guess. On top of that the weather wasn't cooperating. It was on and off raining. The wind made it more difficult since we weren't on level ground and the jeep wasn't very stable on the jack stands. Here's some more pics:

Eventually we got everything in good shape to drive him out. The bad thing was there are 3 ways out. Back up, which wasn't going to happen with the state of the jeep. Through the water:

Obviously a little deep... or through the side (small trail between the bushes) I drove through the side exit the night before. I'm not lifted and my JK is wider than his TJ and it felt like I was going to flip to the side into the water. Well, he is lifted and has bigger tires than me. Not good for this situation. I wanted to take video of him getting out but it was dark out at this point.

So he drove for the exit. As he got closer the front end slipped down into the water. I swear if someone sneezed at his Jeep he would have rolled into the water. His inclinometer was beyond the RED. So I had to drive up baby lions back. We used 3 tow straps to connect his roll bar to my front bumper to keep him from rolling into the water. Once the straps were connected he winched himself out the rest of the way. It was a successful recovery, albeit a nerve wrecking one. So we got his jeep out and down to Moab 4x4 who did the repairs the next day.

Since we were down to one jeep and there were three of us, one who had never been to moab we went to arches for the day. Some pics:

So that night we got his Jeep back all repaired. We tried to hit the end loop of Fins N Things while there was still light out, but by the time we got out there it was pitch black and a little sketchy so we turned around. The next day was Friday and we had to head home. We decided to wake up early and get through Fins start to finish just so we could have done SOMETHING.

So our trip was pretty much hosed since we wanted to run elephant hill and golden spike. We made the best of a bad situation. We were able to get home and no one was hurt, so all in all it could have been worse.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad to hear you got it fixed and your safe. That is always the danger to your equipment you don't ever want your wheels to hop around, your putting unnecessary loads on your drive train, always try to be smooth and in control. I've been at the same place you guys were at. It is a fun spot that pool is deeper from all the rain we just received.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like you all made the most of a lousy situation. If you guys decide to make a return trip to Moab, send me a PM. I was out there a few weeks ago and can't wait to go back.

Also, looks like you got some new tires there Clownpoop...
Old 10-13-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup new tires. Got the Kevlar mtrs. Same size as before.

Heavy metal I'll let you know for sure. Next trip probably won't be until next year but we're definitely owed a redo of this trip. I'm trying to plan the next trip to line up with a meteor shower since the skies are so dark out there.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

All I can say is ,,, good on ya for being able to overcome everything that was tossed your way.

Quick Reply: Moab October 5-8 Disaster Trip (trail damage)