Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Mojave National Preserve

Old 03-27-2007, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mojave National Preserve

Little trip report here from Mojave, I took a 3 day weekend and a road trip with my daughter. Friday night we camped at Hole In The Wall and as we were headed out in the morning we were stopped by the campground host who wanted to know everything about the Jeep unlimited, in fact in the time we were there he called his wife out to look at it, then people from the surrounding sites came over for a look! I've never owned a vehicle that attracted this much attention.
Old Mojave Road isn't a challenge in any respect, but it is a good trip. There is deep sand in the section that goes through Razor OHV park and some creek crossings further on in Afton Canyon, at one I was going fairly slow across when all of a sudden there was a dropoff and water washed over the hood! The Jeep never hesitated at all, just went right through and up the other side, I really expected to stall but she never missed a beat.

Checking in at the Mojave Mailbox

Checking the map

adding to the rockpile

Remote campsite

More images are posted here: http://www.pbase.com/dwinge/mojave
David
Old 03-27-2007, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like a great trip. Thanks for the pics.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

I can't wait to go camping, those are great pictures. My 3 y/o is so anxious for our jeep, he knows I'm planning a trip with just him.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice! I'm thinking of doing that drive in a couple of weeks (based in part on the recommendations of many folks on the forum). I was kind of hoping there would be some tricky stuff, but a nice easy drive sounds good to me -- I'm still pretty new at this.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Nice pictures, Looks like a fun trip
Old 03-28-2007, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
Nice! I'm thinking of doing that drive in a couple of weeks (based in part on the recommendations of many folks on the forum). I was kind of hoping there would be some tricky stuff, but a nice easy drive sounds good to me -- I'm still pretty new at this.
The main portion of the route is basically desert floor, there are a few ruts and hills but tame for the most part. There are a few trails into the mountains that I have yet to test . In Razor there is sand and many trails, it's an OHV park, And in Afton we followed the tracks but I believe there is a more challenging way to go where the canyon splits off. Try to camp at least one night along the way, the sunsets & sunrises are beautiful out there, and on a clear night stars for days & days. I wish it wasn't so far from me here in Orange, if you like the desert you'll love Mojave Preserve.
David
Old 03-28-2007, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

A jeep club in Bakersfield is going to do the Mojave trail this weekend, I cant go I have a wedding to go to. I would like to do the trail and take my 7 yr old grandson. If someone plans a trip on the Mojave trail let me know.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like a great trip. Keep enjoying the ride! Thanks for sharing the pictures
Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dwingephotography
Try to camp at least one night along the way, the sunsets & sunrises are beautiful out there, and on a clear night stars for days & days.
Oh yeah, definitely planning on camping probably two nights (assuming that we do it in the recommended 3 days). Since I need to head back north (to SF) I'm thinking of hitting that Trona Pinnacles loop that wayoflife posted some pics from, and then maybe some death valley stuff, and calling it a trip. Should have the new lift/wheels/tires installed by then after all, so it should be a good test of the new setup.

Quick Reply: Mojave National Preserve