Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Monticello Canyon Run

Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monticello Canyon Run

So Mojo_JK, txnightwheeler, a young guy with a TJ from Military Jeepers, and myself decided to go up to Monticello Canyon in New Mexico for a nice relaxing day full of water crossings and great sights. Unfortunately the TJ's trip ended well before it could begin with a pinion seal giving out and his diff spitting oil all over the place. He wound up limping back home and us to continue on our way. Now to the good parts...

On our way out of T or C

Passing the T or C airstrip

Entering the town of Monitcello

txnightwheeler's and my JK's

Mine and Mojo's

Unfortuntely it's super dry here and it's taking it's toll and even small brush fires are having an impact

And then there was water!

Throughout the canyon there's spots perfect for camping out, which apparently even the Apaches used

Of course some poser shots

Our lunch spot put us half way into the trail and under this great old tree with the root system hanging out due to erosion, it made it very marshy and getting up on the root rather interesting to say the least

At the end of the canyon is the spring where all this water originates from, but required us hiking in a bit.

The spring itself was host to all sorts of life including some small trout, frogs, and this garter snake my wife picked up

On our way back we stopped to play on this natural rock ramp we saw earlier

Also on the way out we wound up passing close to three herds of deer, roughly 25-40 head per herd, it was nuts...

Overall it was an absolute blast and definitely will do the run again with maybe some camping too. We posted about 200 pictures of the trip at http://gallery.me.com/jtimbrook#1001...=black&sel=198

ENJOY!!! We did!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default Charlie One

Great write up!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Super cool! Graduated hi school in T or C back before pavement...
Old 05-26-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Freak

Looks like a good time.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like you guys had fun, glad everyone was safe! The trail I always wanted to do...

On a side note--talked to my mom there today, going on the new record of like 111 days without rain (or something close to that.) That's one thing I definitly don't miss! I'll take the 60's here over that any day! Sorry

Quick Reply: Monticello Canyon Run