Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Off-road mud rescue!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Off-road mud rescue!

Last week I went to this place and got stuck, submerging my JK. POST: My First Rescue
Today I went with kris003 to the same place a found these people stuck in a puddle of mud.

Yey I got my RESCUE badge! LOL!

Outside view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33llO2zVUlU Inside view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgy7IELJAvM Audio is in spanish
Old 11-13-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

i could be wrong but it looks like your using a chain if so thats not very smart lot of people killed that way
Old 11-13-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robctry69
i could be wrong but it looks like your using a chain if so thats not very smart lot of people killed that way
x2, Has your butter slipped off your broccoli?
Old 11-13-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good on you for helping that guy out. That said, there are much safer ways to do that.

Please get yourself a good quality soft tow strap (no metal hooks on the ends) and use that instead. Using a chain can have UGLY consequences.

(NSFW Language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKXwrOKRK1k http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=845cxykfDns I watched a young man come within inches of dying due to a recovery that was being done poorly. If you're not careful, a recovery can go bad in a hurry!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be pulling him out with your rear hook
Old 11-13-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for all your comments. I'm a real newbie to this so everything I can learn now will help me in the future.

Actually I have my own ARB tow strap which we used when kris003 pulled me out last week. (shown on my original post). The guy that I helped had the chain already locked on his Jeep and I just stop, he hooked it to my hook and I pulled.

I'll use mine next time. Thanks for the help! very much appreciated!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zerodown
You should be pulling him out with your rear hook
Why is that? Not to question your knowledge but to understand why

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's my understanding that it has got to do with the design of the ring and pinion. To keep it simple they're stronger when rotated in the direction of forward travel. Less likely to shear teeth when pulling forward than reverse.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zeppo
It's my understanding that it has got to do with the design of the ring and pinion. To keep it simple they're stronger when rotated in the direction of forward travel. Less likely to shear teeth when pulling forward than reverse.
Yes - that is essentially correct. The ring and pinion will have more surface working together to transmit the engine's force to the wheels when you're moving in a forwards direction.

This is not something that I would lose sleep over if you are in a position where pulling backwards is the safest or best option for other reasons - especially if you're looking at a relatively short and easy pull like the one that the OP pictured. I've given many people a quick "bump" out of a situation with a tow strap while in reverse, and I've had folks tug me back when high centered a little but.

Don't get too stressed about it unless you're doing a really hard pull, but it is good form to do recoveries while moving forwards.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

The sound of the Coquis in the background is very nice

Quick Reply: Off-road mud rescue!