Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Ouray, Co - trail help

Old 07-18-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tf7pacman
im going to attemp black bear pass in my stocker and i cant decide if i need to air down or not, ive seen some photos and i cant decide, i was hoping some of you vets could help a noob out ?
Always air down....you'll be happy you did...the roads are rough, so let your tires take the brunt of the rough rocks. Even if you're at 15#.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Default Trail Guide Books...?

I don't want to HIJACK this thread, but I too am headed to Ouray and would like recommendations on a good book/map for the journey. We are leaving next Sunday and I am very excited! Imogene, Black Bear and many more as time allows. I have four days to run trails so a guide would be very nice to have on hand.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:38 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKCliff
I don't want to HIJACK this thread, but I too am headed to Ouray and would like recommendations on a good book/map for the journey. ... I have four days to run trails so a guide would be very nice to have on hand.
Funtreks "Guide to Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, 3rd Edition" by Charles Wells. Covers everything South of I-70. Make sure you get the 3rd Edition as it's brand new.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfr
Funtreks "Guide to Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel-Drive Trails, 3rd Edition" by Charles Wells. Covers everything South of I-70. Make sure you get the 3rd Edition as it's brand new.
Agreed - got this book last week - fantastic!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKCliff
I don't want to HIJACK this thread, but I too am headed to Ouray and would like recommendations on a good book/map for the journey. We are leaving next Sunday and I am very excited! Imogene, Black Bear and many more as time allows. I have four days to run trails so a guide would be very nice to have on hand.
We did a 3 day trail trip a couple of years ago and stayed in Ouray....Take a cooler for lunch and snacks....we had some newbie wheelers with us, so started light and very scenic and ramped up...Schedule was as follows:

Day 1. (short day)
Yankee Boy/Governor Basin
Side Trip around Sydnee Basin...(yes you can do it)

Day 2.
Mineral Creek
Right onto Poughkeepsie Gulch
California Pass
Placer/Pincayne
Stopped at Animas River for lunch
To the top of Engineer Pass and back down.
Back down Mineral Creek to Ouray.

Day 3.
Black Bear Road
Lunch in Telluride (Smuggler's Brewery)
Imogene back to Ouray (rained out so had to go around :-( )

Trip was a blast.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cfr
know what you mean. This is supposed to be on black bear pass (in the old days, of course; it must've been widened since then),

love that pic.
here is a pic of the switch backs..... Not quite as shown here!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	208..jpg
Views:	104
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	77446  
Old 07-19-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

If you get done with Black Bear and are in Telluride and the storms start up, Last Dollar Road is easily do-able in the rain or even heavy rain with any high clearance 4WD vehicle with a low range.

in dry conditions, an all-wheel drive Subaru can do it.

Very pretty drive. It almost kinda parallels the road out of Telluride heading back towards Ouray.

It would also be a very pretty road in late September when the fall color is in.

I last ran it in our old Montero Sport 4WD with 2" of lift and 33" tires. I only used 4-lo once, to take a harder line on one obstacle. The bypass would only have required 4WD.

http://www.treknow.com/colorado/back...ast_dollar.htm GPS coordinates and showing the trip route

Last edited by CerOf; 07-19-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CrazyCasey
here is a pic of the switch backs..... Not quite as shown here!!!!!
Now see this is good switchback photo...it got the wife thinking maybe, well that's a start.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CerOf
If you get done with Black Bear and are in Telluride and the storms start up, Last Dollar Road is easily do-able in the rain or even heavy rain with any high clearance 4WD vehicle with a low range.

in dry conditions, an all-wheel drive Subaru can do it.

Very pretty drive. It almost kinda parallels the road out of Telluride heading back towards Ouray.

It would also be a very pretty road in late September when the fall color is in.

I last ran it in our old Montero Sport 4WD with 2" of lift and 33" tires. I only used 4-lo once, to take a harder line on one obstacle. The bypass would only have required 4WD.

http://www.treknow.com/colorado/back...ast_dollar.htm GPS coordinates and showing the trip route
Great point about Last Dollar Road. I will do this if raining but hopefully no rains to ruin my trail rides.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by barnoles
Now see this is good switchback photo...it got the wife thinking maybe, well that's a start.
You got to talk her into it neither of you will be dissapointed!!!

Quick Reply: Ouray, Co - trail help