Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Pacific Coast Highway road trip June 24-29, 2009

Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pacific Coast Highway road trip June 24-29, 2009

June 24 – 29, 2009 Road Trip along the Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco (and back via I-5).

My two sons and I headed out on a road trip / camping adventure along the Pacific Coast Highway before joining the rest of our family for a memorial service that was scheduled for June 27, 2009, in the town of Hillsborough, near San Francisco.

We couldn’t get 60 miles from home before the boys were grumbling about eating breakfast. So, our first stop: McDonald’s in Laguna Hills.

Next, we stopped at a relative’s house in Torrance, CA.

We headed into Malibu in order to stop and relax on the beach for a short time. What better symbol of Malibu than Pepperdine University:

A local fisherman gave my sons a large crab to take home / play with . . . we ended up giving him back to the sea.

Malibu Beach

Making our way up the coast into Ventura County, we pass by Point Mugu.

Finally, our lunch stop, and at one of my favorite places to visit while in Santa Barbara – yeah, I know, big surprise: a brewery. (Well, this one has happy hour prices and food specials all day long, so it was economical, too.)

Old 06-30-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Looks like a great trip. Did you make it up to Big Sur and Monterey?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

Heading further up the coast, we stopped at Solvang to have the world famous “Aebleskivers.”

Finally, we arrived at Oceano Dunes SVRA (formerly known as Pismo Dunes). This is where we camped the first night.

Playing up in the sand dunes.

The JK in the sand.

Our camp.

Happy campers!

June 25, 2009. Out on the beach before the crowds start tearing the place up.

At Post 25, at the end of “Sand Highway.”

It was my desire to drive along the entire route with the JK’s top and windows off; but, I did have a 4 ˝ year old sitting in the back, so I told the boys that if it got below 60° I would put the top on. So, at Morro Bay, the temperature dropped to 58°, thus, the top went up.

Just passed San Simeon (Hearst Castle area) there is a beach that the Elephant Seals sun themselves on . . . and fight.

Quick stop in Big Sur, CA.

I promised the boys that I would take them to the Monterey Bay Aquarium to check out the sharks and other cool sea creatures.

Our next (and last) stop for the day was in Santa Cruz. We rented a cheesy motel room within walking distance of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

The next day (June 26, 2009) we headed north on Highway 1 to Pigeon Point Light Station.

Cabrillo Highway (somewhere along the central coast)

Quick stop at Half Moon Bay Beach

Around lunch time, and stretching time, we made it to Pedropoint Pacifica, home of Nor Cal Surf Shop; and, the famous beach front Taco Bell.

Well... This Taco Bell does taste just like any other Taco Bell, but where it differs is the ultra-cool beach house building that it's in. It doesn't even come close to looking anything like a typical Taco Bell.
It's right on the beach, seriously, right out there hangin' out on the sand! There's a deck out back where you can sit and eat your Crunchwraps or Gorditas and look out at the spectacular view of the Pacific Ocean. There's even a walk up window outside on the deck in case you're too sandy and salty from surfin' all morning.
Bottom Line: Dynamite location, unbeatable views, and trusty tasty food from the Bell. The only way this location could be better is if there was a swim up window...

Finally, we made it into the “City” (San Francisco, that is).

Of course, you have to stop and view the Golden Gate Bridge.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

On June 27, 2009, my family and I attended a memorial service for my beloved grandmother. I was one of the featured speakers, being that I am her oldest grandchild (and most well-spoken (which doesn’t say much for the rest of the family)).

And, as promised, I wore my formal KILT and PRINCE CHARLIE jacket for several reasons: (1) my grandmother loved it; (2) it is the most formal attire I own; and (3) my grandmother actually bought the whole outfit for me as a wedding gift so I could be married in it.

On Sunday, the family spent the day sightseeing in San Francisco.

View of the Bay from a Cable Car.

My youngest son and I posing for a tourist photo.

The oldest son playing down by the water.

__________________________________________________ ______________

On Monday, June 29, 2009, we headed home.

On I-80, going over the Bay Bridge towards Oakland.

Somewhere along the I-5

As the temperature went up in the middle of the day, I thought I would snap photos waiting for it to stop getting hotter. 113° is plenty hot enough!

We passed by Gorman and the Hungry Valley OHV area, but, it looks like we were a day late.

The whole trip was 1,246.5 miles

The traveling clan back at home.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cyruspura
Looks like a great trip. Did you make it up to Big Sur and Monterey?
Yes, yes we did. You posted too fast . . . before I was finished uploading all the photos/text.

It was a fantastic trip.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pics. I drove the Pacific Coast Highway from LA all the way to Florence Oregon a couple of years ago. I should have camped on the beach, but wussed out and got a hotel each night. Best solo trip I have taken.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

wow great pics and good narrator
Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

btw...nice jeep also
Old 06-30-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Great Pics & looks like a great time ( except for the funeral I'm sure ).

I'm sorry about your grandmother. I lost mine recently as well.

Quick Reply: Pacific Coast Highway road trip June 24-29, 2009