Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Sequoia National Forest and Kings Canyon National Park

Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sequoia National Forest and Kings Canyon National Park

I made the drive up to Sequoia from San Diego on Friday July 9th. I've been to Sequoia before but not with my Jeep. Driving through the forest is amazing, the scenery is so beautiful!

I camped at Azalea near Grant Grove

There are many small trails in the area. Mostly dirt roads with a few inclines and some loose dirt. No big deal for my Base model.

I went to see Buck Rock lookout but I met up with two other Jeeps nearby and we ran the Buck Rock Trail before I got a chance to see the tower. I believe that Buck Rock is the most difficult trail in the area, but almost all of it can be done with an X. A stock Rubicon can tackle the more difficult sections but there are bypasses for everything.

Since I hit the trail first I had to go back to the lookout later that afternoon. It rained a little on and off that day, but it wasn't too bad. At least it wasn't hot.

Later that afternoon I dropped the windshield when I went back to the lookout. Took about an hour to get all of the pieces removed and it was hard to put back together. But it was a ton of fun driving with it down. Totally different experience. It's almost like you can see everything with the windshield down.

Here's the lookout tower from the trail. At 8500ft it's the highest spot in the area and you can see the whole forest.

This is on the way back, on 14S30 I believe, easy trail.

On my way out of the Forest off the 198.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice pic's and story. One day, I will get ou that way.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you see any bears out there? That's the only thing that's stopping me........
Old 07-12-2010, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi

Great pics. I've not been to Buck Rock before and I'm only 60 miles away.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Great pics. I was up there last summer but stuck to the roads to see the usual tourist stuff. Need to go up again Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bondsy
Great pics. I've not been to Buck Rock before and I'm only 60 miles away.
If you're only in Fresno you really need to go! I've only been wheeling for a year but I used to go camping and hiking a lot back when I was in Boy Scouts and Buck Rock Lookout is probably the coolest place I've ever been. The pictures just can't do it justice. You can see everything for miles and miles.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Great pictures, looks like it was a fun day.

Quick Reply: Sequoia National Forest and Kings Canyon National Park