Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Summer Run Review 2011 : Here's What We Did - How About You?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:04 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up Summer Run Review 2011 : Here's What We Did - How About You?

September 23 marks the official end of Summer 2011 and I thought it would be fun to look back at all the good times we had running trails under the sun. Like most of our summers, 2011 was a busy one for us and here's a short list of all the runs we were able to get in. To see an entire photo essay from each of our runs, simply click on the title or image below:

1. Project-JK Memorial Day Weekend 2011 Summer Kick Off

Memorial Day Weekend is typically our summer kick off and start of wheeling trips in the Sierra Nevada mountains but, for the 2nd year in a row, I think as our good friend JeepCacher said, it was more of a "winter finale". As we had the year before, we made our way up to the Bridgeport area to do some camping and exploring and, as luck would have it, have some fun in the snow as well.

2. Central Coast Topless Tour Pre-Run

In preparation of the Project-JK Central Coast Topless Tour we had planned for August, Trail Bud, Moochie, WOLette and I did a pre-run up the beautiful California central coast to verify the backroads and trails we hoped to take were viable ones.

3. Exploring Ghost Towns of the Candelaria Hills

On the way up to Tahoe, we decided to take a detour up U.S. Route 6, head up and over the White Mountains and explore some of the cool ghost towns in the remote Nevada desert.

4. Summertime Snow Wheeling on the Rubicon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BoVc2ByjKs In all the years we have been coming up to Tahoe in the summer, I’d have to say this is the first time that we've seen so much snow stick around for so long. In fact, even though it’s July, we had heard reports that the Rubicon was still covered in deep snow from about the top of Cadillac Hill, down to the staging area near Tahoma and enough so that buggies were only recently breaking trail over the 4th of July weekend. Well, as you can imagine, this was something that we had to see for ourselves and, this short video highlights the fun we had snow wheeling our way up the backside of the Rubicon.

5. Project-JK Rockin Rubicon Run 2011

In all the years my family and I have been coming up to Tahoe for the summer, this was the first one that we've seen so much snow stick around so long and well into the month of July. In fact, by the 4th of July weekend, we had heard that nobody had been able to run the entire length of the Rubicon Trail. Unfortunately, that meant when it was time for us to run it, there was a very real possibility that we might not be able to either. Still, plans were set and our friends were on their way and all were ready to give it a go.

6. Project-JK Blue Lakes Summertime Snow Wheeling 2011

Before our friend mituk and his kids had to leave Tahoe, we decided to get one more easy run in just to see the sights, soak up the warm sun and relax along the shores of the Lost Lakes. But, as luck would have it, the weather started to cool off again and deep snow drifts still blocked the trail all along the Lower and Upper Blue Lakes. In fact, we would find that nobody had been beyond the Lower Blue Lakes to date. But, rather than turning back, we decided to use this opportunity to have some fun.

7. Project-JK Sierra Buttes 2011

Thanks to the crazy amount of snow covering the better part of the Sierra Nevada Mountains well into the middle of July, many of the runs we had hoped to do this summer ended up getting changed, postponed or canceled altogether. In fact, one of the last runs we had planned to do while still up in the Tahoe area was a trip up to Snake Lake with our good friends brainchild and Diane. Unfortunately, enormous snow drifts blocked our way just a bit past Gold Lake and, like so many times before this summer, we had to change our plans and go somewhere else. Needless to say, we decided to head up to the beautiful Sierra Buttes fire lookout tower.

8. Journey to the Corner of Nowhere - The Northeast Corner of California

I have to admit that I'm a big fan of Huell Howser and the myriad of shows that he produces regarding California and all its wonders. And, after seeing a episode where he ventured out to the northeast corner of California, I knew this was a place that I had to visit for myself. Well, on a recent trip we made to visit family up in Chico, WOLette and I decided to take a "long-cut" and, along the way, use the opportunity to visit this amazing Corner of Nowhere.

9. Reward Mine & Armstrong Canyon

In need of a break, we hooked up with our good friends Moochie, HONEY BADGER and Tiki JK for some exploring and camping along the 395.

10. The Palomar Divide Road

Thanks to finishing our forum software upgrades sooner than expected, WOLette and I ended up having a weekend free and with nothing planned. Needless to say, we decided to post up a last minute run on a Friday evening to see if anyone might be interested in joining us for an easy day out on the Palomar Divide Road and, much to our surprise, we end up getting a total of 21 JK's to show up!!

11. Project-JK Niagara Rim Run 2011

With the exception of last year, making a summer run up to Niagara Rim had always been an annual tradition for us. It was an opportunity to get away from the crowds, get up into the Sierra's, take in the fresh air, play on the rocks and have a good time camping with our NorCal friends. Fortunately for us, we were able to renew this tradition last weekend and to make things even better, we were even able to bring out some of our SoCal friends with us as well.

12. Project-JK Central Coast Topless Tour & Wine Tasting 2011

What could possibly scream a "JEEP WAY OF LIFE" better than an 800+ miles trip up through the California Central Coast and back again, more than half of which is run on rural back-roads and byways and, all of which is done doorless and topless!! And, to the 38 people who chose to brave the hundreds of miles traveling with us in triple digit heat, choking dust and frigid fog, all I can say is that you really are true blue Jeepers at heart and, ones that I am proud to have as friends.

13. JK Experience Rocky Mountain Run - Holy Cross Trail

Part of what makes the JK Experience so much fun is not knowing where you will be going each day. And, at our very first drivers meeting, it was anyones guess that we would in fact be heading out to "one of the most difficult hard-core trails" in the state of Colorado. Or, at least as it's stated in the Charles Wells Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails book. In any case, Holy Cross is a trail that we've been wanting to run for ever and, were we ever excited to have the chance to do just that.

14. JK Experience Rocky Mountain Run - Carnage Canyon

For our second day on the JK Experience Rocky Mountain Run, we headed south on Highway 24 to just where it meets up with the 285 and breaks east. At this point, all but 5 in our group split off to do a run up Chinaman's Gulch. As for the 5, they would be heading out to Carnage Canyon. As Charles Wells state in his Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails book, Carnage Canyon is an "extreme trail for radically modified vehicles. Minimum 35-inch tires with lockers both ends. Even with this equipment, you'll need to winch much of the time. Mechanical failure and body damage are a common occurrence." And, after having had the opportunity to run this trail for ourselves, I'd have to say that his description was pretty accurate. In the end, only 3 of the original 5 would make it all the way through and not without taking on a few new battle scars.

15. JK Experience Rocky Mountain Run - The San Juan Mountains

With our resident expert Bill along for the ride, our 4th day on the JK Experience Rocky Mountain Run would truly be one to remember. Starting in the beautiful mining town of Ouray, our trek for the day would take up up along the Million Dollar Highway, up through Poughkeepsie Gulch, up and over California Pass, out to the ghost town of Animas Forks and down into the colorful town of Silverton.

16. JK Experience Rocky Mountain Run - Black Bear Pass

Black Bear Pass is one of those infamous trails that you always hear about and fills you with a sense of anxious desire. I say "anxious" because it's a trail that is know to have killed people and as recently as 2004. And, I say desire because let's face it, what Jeeper isn't at least a little bit drawn to a trail with the possibility of death lurking just around the next switchback. Needless to say, this is a trail that earns its difficulty level due to the dangers associated with it rather than its technical aspects and, when it became apparent that this was the trail we would be running for our 5th day on the JK Experience Rocky Mountain Run, I think most of us were all too eager to take it on.

17. JK Experience Rocky Mountain Run - Billings Canyon

On a scale from 1 to 10, Billings Canyon is a trail that's listed as being a 9. While short in length, pretty much every inch of it has you watching what you're doing and several of the obstacles are technically demanding enough that signs have been errected to inform travelers "it's okay to turn around and go back". Needless to say, this would be our final JK Experience Rocky Mountain Run and, it would also be the one that ended this amazing adventure with a bang... bang of a drive shaft, axle shaft, a couple of tires, a steering shaft and a few other odds and ends that I'm sure I've forgotten about.

18. Project-JK Fordyce Creek Trail Run 2011

Honestly, I don't know what would have possesed us to make this final banzai run of the summer especially being that we just got home from the 2011 JK Experience Rocky Mountain Run. But, Trail Bud's long time friend was already on his way out from Missouri and, we had already committed to joining them and so, 3 days after getting home from Colorado, we were packed up and heading back to Tahoe. Our original plan was to do another Rubicon run but, after hearing about a big Yota run going on over the weekend, we decided to change things up at the last minute and do a run up Fordyce Creek. In all, we would be joined by McPuck86, his wife Lori, ramin, HONEY BADGER and Mel from Off Road Evolution. And, while we were originally going to make this an overnight trip, it ultimately ended up being a epic trip lasting well into the night.

19. Kavanaugh Ridge Run 2011

On the way home from Tahoe last week, Trail Bud, WOLette and I decided to make a detour and do a quick run up to Kavanaugh Ridge. This is one of our most favorite places to visit in the Sierra Nevada Mountains as it takes you up to 11,000 feet and offers views that are to die for. Of course, because of its extreme location, getting up here can be tough as deep snow often blocks the trail well into July. And, if you can get up there, hurricane force winds, thick clouds and a lot times, smoke from forest fires can put a damper on things but for us on this trip, it was about as perfect as it gets.

For the most part, I think that about sums up our Summer of 2011, how about you? What runs were you able to get in over the summer? We'd love to hear all about it

Last edited by wayoflife; 09-27-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's in the Detonators drink? Bailey's and.....?
Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsears
What's in the Detonators drink? Bailey's and.....?
Jameson Irish Whiskey
Old 09-23-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just simply AMAZING Period. Beyond the incredible adventures, as said before the story-telling is inspiring. Who the hell needs reality TV Just join the forum and join the runs Cindy and Eddie, thanks for the personal energy you put into sharing these sagas with us.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Moochie
Jameson Irish Whiskey
what moochie said, jameson - basically, the other half of a car bomb

Originally Posted by RanchoRubi
Just simply AMAZING Period. Beyond the incredible adventures, as said before the story-telling is inspiring. Who the hell needs reality TV Just join the forum and join the runs Cindy and Eddie, thanks for the personal energy you put into sharing these sagas with us.
LOL!! thanks Et, we sure hope you and michelle will be able to join us on more adventures in the near future
Old 09-24-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Slackers! Only 18 trail runs ... you'll have to do better next year! Seriously, we really enjoyed running the Rubicon with you guys! You make us all envious with all of these adventures. See you in Moab in 2012!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:04 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Mechengineer2
Slackers! Only 18 trail runs ... you'll have to do better next year! Seriously, we really enjoyed running the Rubicon with you guys! You make us all envious with all of these adventures. See you in Moab in 2012!
yeah, i know, i think we might have been down a couple from last year

it was great wheeling with you two both in moab and on the rubicon and, it was good seeing you in colorado too. i look forward to seeing you again soon
Old 09-25-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Junkie

WOL, that is an impressive summer trail list - not just in quantity, but in the quality and difficulty of the trails.

Although I'm in denial and refuse to admit summer is over, this is what we got done:

Rubicon - Loon Lake to Tahoe - x2
Rubicon - Wentworth Springs to Tahoe - x1
Freeway Ridge - x1
Calico - Doran Loop and Odessa Canyon - x2
Big Bear - John Bull, Gold Mountain, Dishpan Springs and Holcomb Creek - x3+
Rowher + rockgarden area - x2

Someone remind me if I missed one...

Quick Reply: Summer Run Review 2011 : Here's What We Did - How About You?