Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

VIDEO: Twin Peaks Jeep Play Area Lake Tahoe

Old 07-11-2008, 10:16 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up VIDEO: Twin Peaks Jeep Play Area Lake Tahoe

So I was watching my favorite TV personality, Todd Offenbacher (a real hoot to watch), on the local Tahoe RSN channel when I saw a piece he did featuring a local wheeling spot that was right here in the South Lake Tahoe basin. Apparently, this area was called Twin Peaks and was just minutes away from the Y (where highway 50 and 89 split off) and if you can believe it, in all the years that I have been coming to Lake Tahoe, I can honestly say that I had never heard of this place. In fact, none of the books or maps I had indicated anything about this trail or OHV area but after doing some research online and locating the actual Twin Peaks mountains on a map, I decided to take some time off of my busy work week and find this place.

As it would turn out, Twin Peaks is literally in town and down by a youth fishing area called Saw Mill Pond. Towards the end of the parking lot, you will find a gate which will tell you that the trail ahead is Twin Peaks and that it’s only open from 9am - 7pm. Not too far beyond the gate, you will come up to a split in the trail. To get to the top without any problems, stay to the left and if you want to play on some pretty tough rocks, stay to the right. This first play area is called “Twister” and is a challenge. Up beyond that and near the peak, you will find a second rock garden with a bypass to the right called “Washboard” (most likely because of the railroad ties you have you drive over). This second rock garden is just as challenging as the first and towards the top, it gets extreme. If you’re bold enough to give the extreme part a try, there is an axle that’s been sunk into a large boulder towards to top that you can winch off of if needed. The top of the peak is just a 100 yards up beyond that and offers stunning views of the Tahoe basin and mountains beyond. All in all, it’s more of a small play area than a trail but challenging enough to offer hardcore Jeepers some fun. Of course, being minutes away from home makes this place a perfect place to test out your rig and or to hone in your abilities. If you visit this area, please stay on the designated trails and away from the tempting ledges which are in fact off the trail. Anyway, to watch the short video that WOLette made of our Twin Peaks excursion, click on the screen above or on the link below:

Project-JK Twin Peaks Trail YouTube Video

Below are a few shots that we took while playing on the rocks there....

view looking down at the 2nd rock garden just before the top...

here are a couple of poser shots at the top....

If you want to see more pics of this area, click on the link below:

Twin Peaks Photos

Although there are bunch of great trails in the Tahoe area, I have to say that it really is nice to have such a great play area right in town like this.

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-13-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting

I've heard of Twin Peaks, but didn't know anything about it...looks like a cool place to play!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 AM
JK-Forum Founder

yeah, go figure - i have been coming up to tahoe for over 10 years now and only now found out about this place.

looking forward to going wheeling with you tomorrow
Old 07-11-2008, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
yeah, go figure - i have been coming up to tahoe for over 10 years now and only now found out about this place.

looking forward to going wheeling with you tomorrow

See you at breakfast, I think Lizzy is buying?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa, cool! There's a Twin Peaks in San Francisco but not much wheelin' there!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Eddie -
Any shots of the Jeep with the Lake - or IN the Lake???

VERY NICE PICS!!! Wish I was there!
(been there twice skiing)
Old 07-11-2008, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

That does look like a nice place- The views are spectacular

Originally Posted by kidjeep
See you at breakfast, I think Lizzy is buying?
...I thought you were buying
Old 07-12-2008, 02:32 AM
JK Jedi

Cool looking spot!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Eddie,

Is this the first trip you've taken with the new TF lift?

How do you like it? On road, off road,...

Looks great and in an amazing setting.

Mark
Old 07-13-2008, 06:43 AM
JK-Forum Founder

actually, it's the 2nd trip but first harder one. so far, what i can tell you is that on road performance is great. very comfortable and with it having rubber bushings at the frame, very little to no road noise. on the trail, i have seen it to perform quite good as well but again, being that it has rubber bushings at the frame, droop is a bit less than what i had before (to be expected) and due to the tall bump stop extensions, about an inch less stuff that what i was seeing before. granted, this 4" lift did give me closer to 5" of lift. overall, it's a great kit but i do wish it came with a dropped pitman arm and front track bar drop bracket.

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-13-2008 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: VIDEO: Twin Peaks Jeep Play Area Lake Tahoe