Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Wheeling and camping in VA?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:51 AM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCGMotorsports
So I'm planning on going to Hone Quarry on Friday 4/11 in the afternoon to do some camping and get up in the morning and doing either the Hone Quarry Ridge or Oak knob hike Saturday morning. My question is, how long does it take to do the Flag Pole run? I just trying to figure out how much time I'll have and where I'll be. If it only takes a few hours I may look for another trail to do afterwards with a place to camp. Or if it takes all day, I'll probably camp on the trail somewhere and and finish Sunday morning. Basically I'm trying to fill my weekend with good trails and hiking. I'm afraid I won't have enough planned and I'll have to go home. Who wants to do that!
You can do Flagpole as quick as 3 hours or as long as all day. There's quite a few off-shoots that'll occupy you for a while. Most of them that I've seen are on the main ridge. If you continue south along the ridge past Flagpole you'll end-up at a paved road that takes you up to Reddish Knob- a really cool overlook. Along the way, though, I recall at least two separate off-shoots. One to the west and one to the east. Doing recon on Google Maps reveals that the easterly route seems to traverse a razorback. I had already taken a portion of the westerly path. It splits into two path at some point and I took the left route to a few really cool camping spots. This path was more overgrown and muddy but still a lot of fun.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N83
I've wheeled were Peters Mill Run (not really challenging and not many cool places to set-up camp) and Flagpole Knob (W of Harrisonburg, VA).
Ahhhh Peters Mill run.....!! Easy trail that is by far one of the most memorable trails I have driven! ......Felt like I had a flat, pulled over to check the passenger rear tire and the rear spring tore from the frame!! Had to run the winch cable under the Jeep and winch it back into hole in the frame just to drive back out and get it on the trailer.......

Learned a ton of "trail repairs" that day!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:31 AM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TCGMotorsports
So I'm planning on going to Hone Quarry on Friday 4/11 in the afternoon to do some camping and get up in the morning and doing either the Hone Quarry Ridge or Oak knob hike Saturday morning. My question is, how long does it take to do the Flag Pole run? I just trying to figure out how much time I'll have and where I'll be. If it only takes a few hours I may look for another trail to do afterwards with a place to camp. Or if it takes all day, I'll probably camp on the trail somewhere and and finish Sunday morning. Basically I'm trying to fill my weekend with good trails and hiking. I'm afraid I won't have enough planned and I'll have to go home. Who wants to do that!
Looks like I'll be out there 2 weeks after you. Make sure those trails are clear, mmkay?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

After reading this and other post on the "George Washington National Forest" I have become very interested in going down on a long weekend trip. Now just need to find a friend willing to head down too, I never wheel alone. Here is a link to some local information I found on the Rt33 Entrance to the Park and other spots of interest.

Link: George Washington National Forest - North River Ranger District (Harrisonburg Area) - Dirtopia, the Off-Road Encyclopedia

Last edited by boots; 03-31-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

So I'm back! Hone quarry campground was great until the spring breakers showed up but I would definitely go back. The ridge hike was short (5miles) but pretty difficult with great views. Now on to the good stuff! Came in on union springs(225) and had a blast! Up by the steps near the meadow was nice! Ran across some college kids in an Escape that tried to cross a pretty big mud puddle and got stuck. Helped them across but wasn't sure where they were gonna go in that thing. They said they were meeting buddies camping but I think they meant to go right off of 227 not left. Almost all the camping was packed with large groups partying. Probably a mix of spring break and the great weather. I decided after riding all day to head to Shenandoah for the night and crash on the AT. I know that pretty well. I can't wait to go back to flagpole though. Maybe with some more guys. Met some good peeps along the trail though.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 AM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a great trip! I'm hoping there's not too much, if any, other campers out when we go in two weeks. I'm getting pretty damn pumped for my trip!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

Shoe creek is an AWESOME place to camp and wheel. I've been there MANY times and miss it. Post this in the VA section and I'm sure you'll find quite a few who are willing to go...
Old 04-20-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Here is some pics from my trip.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03785.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	547117   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03784.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	547118   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03768.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	547120   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03779.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	547121   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03766.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	547122  

Old 04-25-2014, 03:07 PM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Great pics!

I'm headed there tomorrow around noon!

Quick Reply: Wheeling and camping in VA?