Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.2" Backspace, Leveling Kit/33s

Old 03-20-2022, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2" Backspace, Leveling Kit/33s

TLDR: Will the Teraflex Levling Kit (pucks) be compatible with only 5.2" backspacing & 33s?

Context: My JK is my daily driver, and I love it, but it is not where I want it to be aesthetically (305/50R20s installed by the previous owner, but I want to go 33s on 17s).

I'm leaning towards the Teraflex levelking kit, which specifies 4.5" backspacing, but I am also really leaning towards the Retro CJ white wagon wheels at Quadratec. They state 5.2" backspacing and that they are hub-centric (I don't really know what that means). I'd like to avoid using wheel spacers/adapters if possible, so I would like to know if this would work.

Thanks for any feedback. Been looking at this forum a lot, first time posting.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are adding spring spacers, 17X8.5 wheels W/5.2 BS and 33X11.50 tires you'll have no issues.
If you're adding spring spacers AND shock spacers or sway bar link spacers or 33X12.50 tires you may very well have rubbing.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by D-Dub
If you are adding spring spacers, 17X8.5 wheels W/5.2 BS and 33X11.50 tires you'll have no issues.
If you're adding spring spacers AND shock spacers or sway bar link spacers or 33X12.50 tires you may very well have rubbing.
Thanks, that’s good info. I was not planning on using shock spacers but the kit does have new front sway bar links. Is that the same as extensions?
Old 03-21-2022, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

The ones that came in the TF kit I used once were pretty good for sway bar angle so you should be ok fro bar angle.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthWrangler99
Thanks, that’s good info. I was not planning on using shock spacers but the kit does have new front sway bar links. Is that the same as extensions?
The longer sway bar links will allow the front axle to articulate further than stock, which might give some rubbing under harsh offroading.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Ideally you'd just get a 4.5" BS wheel that would give you room to grow if you ever did go to a bigger tire (you just never know what the future holds even when you think you do), but I totally get some folks liking a classic look like that wheel for their build and when it comes to that the size/BS options are just more limited. Do you plan to wheel that jeep or primarily just a DD and maybe dirt/fire roads? I only ask cuz if you are going to head offroad and disconnect the front sway bar then it's better to just get some quick disconnect links to start with.....at which point the clearance concern is moot. It would also allow you to maybe sell those brand new links before installing them and recapturing a little money. Food for thought at least.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Primarily just a DD and maybe dirt/fire roads
Probably this, but I see your point. I traded in my pickup for the JK but if I pick up a bargain daily driver it will remove a lot of the restrictions I am putting on this build.

I may just go 16 or 17” soft 8s if there are better options for fitting.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthWrangler99
I traded in my pickup for the JK but if I pick up a bargain daily driver it will remove a lot of the restrictions I am putting on this build..
I LOOOOOVE my JK. I never plan on selling it, and it gives me a ton of joy driving it around. That said, I'm also so happy that it's not my DD. For commuting, I have a 20-year-old Infiniti I30 with 250k miles on the clock and an indestructible VQ30DE engine that cost me $1500 . The clear coat is peeling like crazy but I don't even care. It saves about 15k miles a year off the jeep driving to/from work. I've been on this cheap commuter car model for years now (previously had a 2006 jetta that was $2500). It works great for me, but I really don't care about the appearance of what I'm driving or what people think (I office in a place everyone is driving high-end luxury or sports cars). All I care about is saving and enjoying my jeep . IMO, these Jeeps truly shine when they are just an extra vehicle or a toy. Top is off 85% of the year....and if it rains the jeep just stays in the garage so no need to always be taking top off or plopping it on. Nice to take the doors off for stretches at a time and not worry about it either (assuming have a garage to park jeep in).
The following users liked this post:
Sixty4x4 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

I still DD mine because my third vehicle is one of those first RWD R8 Audi's and that car is rated just below useless for winter driving so the Jeep is it every day. But work a lot from home anyways lately.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I LOOOOOVE my JK. I never plan on selling it, and it gives me a ton of joy driving it around. That said, I'm also so happy that it's not my DD. For commuting, I have a 20-year-old Infiniti I30 with 250k miles on the clock and an indestructible VQ30DE engine that cost me $1500 . The clear coat is peeling like crazy but I don't even care. It saves about 15k miles a year off the jeep driving to/from work. I've been on this cheap commuter car model for years now (previously had a 2006 jetta that was $2500). It works great for me, but I really don't care about the appearance of what I'm driving or what people think (I office in a place everyone is driving high-end luxury or sports cars). All I care about is saving and enjoying my jeep . IMO, these Jeeps truly shine when they are just an extra vehicle or a toy. Top is off 85% of the year....and if it rains the jeep just stays in the garage so no need to always be taking top off or plopping it on. Nice to take the doors off for stretches at a time and not worry about it either (assuming have a garage to park jeep in).
Yes, you have successfully described the dream. I had intended on doing exactly this with my 07 F150 but it was 230k miles and I had already put 50% of what I paid for it into it for repairs over about 5 years. I just felt like trade in value was too good to pass up with that being the case.

But yes the JK is currently garaged and I would like to leave it topless 24/7 (or have the option to) and just drive something else when weather doesn’t permit. Save gas money at miles on the JK.

Quick Reply: 5.2" Backspace, Leveling Kit/33s