Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need an upgraded tire carrier hinge/support?

Old 09-11-2020, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Absolutely not to the Smitty. They've got decent customer service but for me, the best customer service is the one that I never have to call. I've got the MorRyde system, comparable to the Teraflex unit and works well for stock, 35's, and I've even ran a beadlocked 37*13.5" on it for a few weeks. It's not as adjustable as the TF unit in terms of close to the body but my tire sits pretty close. It also sets the tire similar to the factory level so it's not blocking the whole rear window.
I just swapped over from 33s to 35s. 35 won't fit with the stock carrier. Did you go with the HD hinges & tailgate reinforcement together?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2020, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Correct- I've got the hinges, gate reinforcement, and tire carrier with 35's, though I've also put a 37x13.5" on the same setup with the same results.
The following users liked this post:
Reddout99 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love coming here and getting first-hand takes on everything JK and really appreciate it. I hadn't heard about the brand until checking in here.
I was thinking about getting their relocation bracket then is a couple weeks (next paycheck) get their hinges then the tailgate reinforcement on the next paycheck. Any rattling or anything?

I'll just be using mine as a DD with an occasional off-road excursion

Last edited by Reddout99; 09-12-2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I pieced mine together, albeit in a different order and for different reasons. Not am an ounce of sound out of the hinges or assembly. I actually bought a set of the hinges for my girlfriend's jeep too.

Correct- I was also unaware of the company until I started watching what jscherb was putting together and then he linked to where I could buy them. He does some really cool stuff if you follow his threads or YouTube.
Reddout99 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I checked out his YouTube channel - nice info

Last edited by Reddout99; 09-14-2020 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I put the TF hinge on when I bumped up to 35s and I use it now for the 37s. I haven't had to give it a second thought since the day I installed it I don't know how many years ago. The gate works as usual and it's been completely trouble free. Plus it picks the tire up which adds some departure clearance.

These were pictures of a backup cam I did, but they show the hinge and the tire and they're handy:

This one was after getting rear ended on the highway, I don't know if the car that hit me had contact with the tire, but there was no damage aside from the license plate bracket:

The piece isn't cheap, but it's reliable and it's tough.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I also recommend the MORryde system. Somewhere on this forum the inventor goes over the whole thing. After I read that I was sold
Reddout99 (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I pieced mine together, albeit in a different order and for different reasons. Not am an ounce of sound out of the hinges or assembly. I actually bought a set of the hinges for my girlfriend's jeep too.

Correct- I was also unaware of the company until I started watching what jscherb was putting together and then he linked to where I could buy them. He does some really cool stuff if you follow his threads or YouTube.
I'm piecing mine together as well. Picked up a set of the MORryde HD hinges and got them installed over the weekend. These hinges are STOUT. For now, I added a 1.5" spacer to the stock holder and the 35 fits well. Just touches the factory bumper to help with rigidity.
Next paycheck I'll pick up the tailgate reinforcement, then their HD tire carrier. I feel with just with the hinges, I should be OK till I get the rest of their system.

Last edited by Reddout99; 09-14-2020 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Added Pics
Old 09-14-2020, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I also recommend the MORryde hinges, have them on my JK and JKU. Added bonus is their modular design so adding a high lift jack bracket or gas can carrier is simple. Also was handy for mounting my quad band antenna that a buddy made a custom mount for. Much better spot than the spare tire carrier location IMHO as I can hit the rear window glass if I open the window but not have the gate swung open enough. Also just a better location overall for SWR. What's not visible in the photo is the little triangular plate welded to the bottom of the bracket to keep the mount from spinning into the body tub.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought new tires 315-70-17 and Raceline wheels in February of this year and because I was sizing up to a 34.5" tires. I also bought the SmittyBilt HD Tire Carrier $415.00, bought and installed at 4WD Parts. I also bought an adjustable bump-stop, of which was a necessity and recommended by 4WD Parts. In the 7 months since the purchase I haven't had any problems with the spare tire carrier, I checked the bolts and torque, a couple of months afterward, everything was tight. I haven't experienced any noises nor rattling from the carrier. From April up to last month, I've traveled off road in the Oregon/Washington Cascades (no extreme rock crawling) mainly on washboard Forest Service roads and dirt trails.

I'm knocking on wood, to keep my luck on going.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20200320_MyJeep4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	677647  

Quick Reply: Do I need an upgraded tire carrier hinge/support?