Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does 2.5” lift need new shocks?

Old 01-10-2023, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does 2.5” lift need new shocks?

2018 JKU Sport (all stock, currently) running Wrangler 255/75/17. Dana 3.21 gears according to the window sticker. It’s my DD, but would like a bit more aggressive appearance. Finally, after 3 1/2 years, I am planning on new tires and either leveling kit (2” front/1”rear) or 2.5” lift. Looking at 285/75/17 in either Nitto Ridge Grapplers or BFG KO2.

Do I need new shocks if I install 2.5” lift?
Wondering if the tires will be too wide and rub?
Thoughts on puck spacer/leveling kits for DD?
Will I need to regear? Not a huge tire size difference.

Jeep will likely not see much off road action, but hoping for a few trails. As much as I’d love to go all out and put big tires and lift on it, it’s not something my spouse is interested in and we really can’t afford all that goes with it. I can dream though.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-10-2023, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

At some point you likely want to get a bit longer shock to account for lift height. If the factory shocks still have life and you want to save some $$ you are fine for a bit. Lots of budget boosts or leveling kits will come with shock extension brackets so you can continue using the factory shocks. If you didn't want to use brackets what you're giving up is downward shock travel....in this case up to 2" of it.

Can't speak to those tires rubbing or not with factory wheels, but you can always pop a couple washers in the steering stops in the knuckles if you need to limit that just a touch. Regear will be all subjective. As you know, 3.21 is not optimal as you currently are really. It will be more sluggish with any small increase in tire size. Certainly not something that is going to make things blow up, so you can always make your updates and see how much the performance drives you crazy or not.

Also, nothing at all wrong with a little budget boost or leveling kit for a DD.
The following 3 users liked this post by resharp001:
jsmalygo (01-10-2023), RickLB (01-10-2023), Stock (03-21-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
At some point you likely want to get a bit longer shock to account for lift height. If the factory shocks still have life and you want to save some $$ you are fine for a bit. Lots of budget boosts or leveling kits will come with shock extension brackets so you can continue using the factory shocks. If you didn't want to use brackets what you're giving up is downward shock travel....in this case up to 2" of it.

Can't speak to those tires rubbing or not with factory wheels, but you can always pop a couple washers in the steering stops in the knuckles if you need to limit that just a touch. Regear will be all subjective. As you know, 3.21 is not optimal as you currently are really. It will be more sluggish with any small increase in tire size. Certainly not something that is going to make things blow up, so you can always make your updates and see how much the performance drives you crazy or not.

Also, nothing at all wrong with a little budget boost or leveling kit for a DD.
This is probably one of the most helpful replies I’ve gotten on any forum. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Does 2.5” lift need new shocks?