Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun (not) with TPMS sensors.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fun (not) with TPMS sensors.

A couple of years ago when I thought I needed bead lock rims I bought a full set of five aftermarket TPMS sensors for them so I wouldn’t have to break down my stock wheels. None of them seemed to work properly at the time so I took all five of my original senders off the stock wheels and swapped them. The system worked great. A couple of days ago I put the stock wheels and tires back on my Jeep and was surprised when three of the four wheels read the pressures with the aftermarket senders. The L-R wasn’t reading so I thought the easiest solution was to just replace that one with one of my originals. So an hour of work and I’ve got an original sender back on that wheel. But still no reading. I tried everything and finally let that tire air down to about 20 PSI. Still no reading, but the LF was now reading 20PSI on the dash. So somehow my Jeep didn’t know what corner was which.

Yesterday I sucked it up and put ALL of my original senders back on. A five minute drive later and all four wheels were reading properly and my “tire” light went out.

I started shopping around only to discover way too many part numbers for these senders. Ones would show a fit for my ‘15 wouldn’t be compatible for, say, a 13. I suspect that when I bought the new senders a couple of years ago they were close, but not exactly what I needed.

Sooo.... after that long-winded intro, who has bought aftermarket senders that worked? And where did you buy them?? Mine are now almost six years old so I expect to be replacing them in the next few years. I don’t want to go through mounting five tires over and over again when that time comes.

Last edited by any4xx; 07-04-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh... and no way will I pay dealer prices for new senders. I’m looking for an aftermarket source. I see sets of five everywhere ago around $125.00 vs the dealer at nearly $100.00 each.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by any4xx
Oh... and no way will I pay dealer prices for new senders. I’m looking for an aftermarket source. I see sets of five everywhere ago around $125.00 vs the dealer at nearly $100.00 each.
Here's the real mopar sensor for $63 and if you use the discount code ty17 there's another 5% off that.

You've already wasted money and time on aftermarket junk that didn't work out, and prices at the dealer's parts counter have too much markup. Places like moparwholesaleparts are often the solution. They ship fast if it's in stock, and it's usually a few extra days if not.

Last edited by Mr.T; 07-04-2020 at 03:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jedg (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I bought these in Oct '19 for my '13 JKU. They've been flawless so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-05-2020, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I bought these in Oct '19 for my '13 JKU. They've been flawless so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you. I’ll add those to my AZ wishlist for when I’m ready.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Just curious but on my scan tool there is a setup for registering tpms sensors to your vehicle. Does the Jeep automatically do this if sees the right type of sender? I noticed when I swapped my JK wheels w/sensors to my JKU I didn’t get a warning light is that why?
Old 07-05-2020, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Niteshooter
Just curious but on my scan tool there is a setup for registering tpms sensors to your vehicle. Does the Jeep automatically do this if sees the right type of sender? I noticed when I swapped my JK wheels w/sensors to my JKU I didn’t get a warning light is that why?
The newer Jeeps are SUPPOSED TO automatically register new senders within about ten miles of driving.

Quick Reply: Fun (not) with TPMS sensors.