Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing 35's any needed upgrades?

Old 02-11-2020, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing 35's any needed upgrades?

Hello JK Forum as always I'm looking for some info/ advise here! In the next couple weeks I will be getting new tires and want to upgrade from 285/70R17 to 35's. My 2 door JK is already lifted about 3+inchs so should be fine clearance wise. My question is besides Re-gearing is there any other upgrades,stiffeners or gussets I should be looking in to with the bigger tires and added weight? We do some mild trails/off road but nothing too crazy/stressful. I know 35's are not that big but I want my jeep to remain as reliable as I can as my wife and I use the Jk for all of our long trips and will be heading on an 18hour trip to FL a few weeks .Thanks!
Old 02-11-2020, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

What have you done with your 3"+ lift? You'll want to ensure the driveshafts are happy if you want to make those long trips.

As far as 35's goes- brakes would be a good first step, particularly with the highway use. Another piece I'd look at (if you don't already have it) would be heavy duty steering linkages. Ball joints- what's the condition? Spare tire- what's your plan?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

I have mostly Terraflex 3inch with coils and front lower ajustable arms. (I really need to make a list because I can't keep track of everything) I do have but not installed yet is synergy tie rod, hd ball joints and waiting for new drag link. I plan on upgrading rear drive shaft soon if not both front and rear shafts . I will also run a 35 for a spare as I have upgraded HD spare tire Hinge kit(Terraflex) I also have every skid except the fuel tank and am getting a skid for that this spring, Anything else I should be looking in to? Is a Truss kit overkill for 35's?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Truss kits have proven to be a temporary solution. I've seen a picture where the truss just kept the axle from completely separating. The sleeves are similar if the plug welds aren't done all the way down the axle. I drank the kool-aid years ago and did C gussets when I put in my first set of ball joints (old style Synergy). I hadn't had any problems, but it was popular thinking at the time that the C's were bending and that the gussets would help. I can't say if they've saved me or not, but I do know that my camber is better than some of the new from the factory axles I've seen.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Gussets and ball joints and go have fun.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

If you aren't out smashing the rocks all the time you can get away with very little modifications.

I ran for 3 of 4 years with no axle reinforcement at all with my lift and 35s, had no issue, wheeling rocks 2-3 times a year. I am very easy on the skinny pedal though!

Still would recommend the gussets, just for piece of mind, and if you're doing that then ball joints too.

My front shaft gave up the ghost already, still on the stock rear (2-door).

You will likely need to add more bump stop, depending on what your lift came with, and what you fender situation is (I.e. full factory, cut factory, aftermarket, or otherwise).

I lost a lot of height with my Teraflex lift (2.5in 2-door) as I added weight (swapped out for RK 3.5 2-door now), so you might take some measurements to see where you are at, there might be less room under the fenders than you expect depending on what you have for bumpers and other weight added. My Jeep is about 800lbs over stock if I have the top and doors on and all my gear for a trail ride.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for everyone's input/suggestions! I wasn't thinking about weight much either until now other than the added weight of the bigger tires and spare. Also most of our trips I run our roof top tent, awning,cooler, axe,chain saw, stove,chairs and what not as well as some tools and that weight adds up fast. I have full skids besides fuel tank at the moment and JCR front bumper. Also have a winch going on next week. I might hold off on 35"s until spring so I can beef up a few more things as I still have 50% tread on my 285/70/17 BFG KO2's so its not a rush. I am thinking of re gearing to 4.88's also but trying to wait until i figure out which locker set up I want to go with. Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Installing 35's any needed upgrades?