Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milestar Patagonia m/t tire pressure

Old 08-01-2022, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Milestar Patagonia m/t tire pressure

Hi All,
Recently installed a set of 35-12.5x20 Patagonias on my 2008 JKU. Trying to get a consensus on the best air pressure for the road.
Some older threads are using low psi in an attempt to maximize tire patch size, however these are crowned tires and should only be utilizing the center third or so on highway. That hybrid strip down the center gives the quiet ride.
Tire store set to 45 psi and it was all over the road. I lowered to 29-30 and it rode better but I don't want to prematurely wear them out. Watched a video describing the "crown" these tires have and went back up to 35psi as printed on door jamb. I plan to 5 tire rotate every oil change. Can anyone with first hand experience share their preferred psi and wear results ? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
erichmendez (12-05-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Every vehicle is different due to vehicle weight, load rating of the tires, wheel width etc. A chalk test is your best bet. Run chalk across the entire contact patch of the tire and drive it. Sometimes it only takes a few rotations to see where the chalk has worn away and you can adjust the tire pressure and retest.

Last edited by Ryan0260; 08-01-2022 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
StarGate (08-01-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Tire pressure is always going to be personal preference and a tradeoff between comfort, tire wire and fuel economy IMO. In general, those tires are priced accordingly to their longevity. People get sucked in by the sticker price but have to go back more often. Looking at their webpage it looks like that is an F-rated tire in that size. That is one dang stiff tire. 35 sounds way too high to me.

I realize you're asking for people with experience with this specific tire, and that is not yet what you've gotten, but there is a chance you could be waiting a while for that specific tire and that specific size. If you buy into the "crowned for road noise reduction" marketing then do the chalk test till you're hitting that 1/3 patch. If you choose to do that then you are obviously wearing that 1/3 patch a lot more and opting for lower noise and fuel economy over wear and comfort.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have to get some chalk. And thanks. I hadn't thought about checking the tire for the missing chalk, I was going to try to see the chalk mark on the road.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by StarGate
I'll have to get some chalk. And thanks. I hadn't thought about checking the tire for the missing chalk, I was going to try to see the chalk mark on the road.
Good deal. I would also rotate the tires often to get the maximum life out of them.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

these can’t be chalk tested they are a crown shape tire you only supposed to drive on the center treads you tube there’s a few videos on why
Old 12-05-2022, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
Recently installed a set of 35-12.5x20 Patagonias on my 2008 JKU. Trying to get a consensus on the best air pressure for the road.
Some older threads are using low psi in an attempt to maximize tire patch size, however these are crowned tires and should only be utilizing the center third or so on highway. That hybrid strip down the center gives the quiet ride.
Tire store set to 45 psi and it was all over the road. I lowered to 29-30 and it rode better but I don't want to prematurely wear them out. Watched a video describing the "crown" these tires have and went back up to 35psi as printed on door jamb. I plan to 5 tire rotate every oil change. Can anyone with first hand experience share their preferred psi and wear results ? Thanks.
I have 37x13.5 r20 Patagonia’s and my problem is road noise. Due to the “crown” they are not like normal MTs and inflate at higher psi. I’ve been at 33/34 psi for 5000 miles and I just read that Milestar recommends 36-38 psi so I just inflated them to 38 tonight. I do mostly highway driving so road noise is killing me.

Quick Reply: Milestar Patagonia m/t tire pressure