Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting a spare tire on a 2016 JK with an aftermarket backup camera

Old 10-28-2022, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a spare tire on a 2016 JK with an aftermarket backup camera

Hey all! So I just ordered new rims and tires for my 2016 JK, tire height being 33 inch, and invested in a spare. I don’t have one currently, so I just have an aluminum license plate holder on the back. I am looking for a mount for the tire, but have run into a bit of a problem: there is an aftermarket backup camera. While I don’t solely rely on it to backup, I do use it to make sure nobody’s coming when I back up. So, I’m looking to see if anybody has a possible solution for me to be able to mount the spare on the back, but to be able to somehow rig the backup camera to still be usable. And if anybody knows of a mounting kit with a universal backup camera port, that would be awesome, since I haven’t been able to find one.

Thanks in advance,
Lexi
Old 10-28-2022, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm assuming the backup camera is in the spare wheel area? Seems like you would just need to extend that wire enough to be up where the new spare mount will be. Where do the current camera wires run?
Old 10-28-2022, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peachferrari
I'm assuming the backup camera is in the spare wheel area? Seems like you would just need to extend that wire enough to be up where the new spare mount will be. Where do the current camera wires run?
The backup camera is right under the license plate. Its built into the license plate panel. It’s hard to tell but I think they are behind a panel on the trunk door and run into the side in on the inside of the trunk.

Quick Reply: Mounting a spare tire on a 2016 JK with an aftermarket backup camera