Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your help for DW. Stock tire and AM wheel or Stock wheel and AM tire?!?!?

Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need your help for DW. Stock tire and AM wheel or Stock wheel and AM tire?!?!?

We were going to upgrade the DW's JKU with wheels and tires. Long story short, with a decrease in budget she is wanting to do only one or the other. She is not sure which she should do first wheels or tires.

She will only be doing light off road occasionally. The tire size she will end up with in the end is 33", something like 285 or 295/70/17. The aftermarket wheels will be 17" obviously.

So.... Will the stock tires fit a decent aftermarket wheel? Let's say 17x9 or 17x8? Or what size rim would fit both stock tires (255/75/17) and aftermarket 285/70/17 tires?

If anyone has pics of a stock tire on aftermarket wheel please post the pic.

I'm thinking tire first is the way to go but she really wants to up the "custom look" and thinks maybe she would be happier with wheels first.

Thoughts, input, pics are very much appreciated!

Last edited by crzyamerican; 07-12-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say save up and do both at once. If you must do one or the other right away do tires. A better performing (and bigger) tire is one of the best improvements you can do to an off road vehicle. 285/70/17's will fit the stock 17x7.5" wheel. If you do this I would recommend getting 1.5" wheel spacers to prevent rubbing at full lock. This is why doing the correct off set wheels at the same time as tires would be beneficial and save you money in the long run.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are actually 34" tires 285 75r17 with no mounting problems for stock 7.5 " width rims and no spacers were needed all I needed to do was shim out the front steering stop bolts with 2 washers each side to prevent rubbing stabilizer and lower suspension link bar and this only resulted in slightly reduced steering radius. I did some serious off road rock climbing with full flex and stabilizer disconnect and not a problem.

P.S. no need to trim back stock Rubicon rock rails or pinch seams about .5" clearance I believe on 35's you'll need to do this ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	0613141017c_resized.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	564929Click image for larger version

Name:	0613141017a_resized.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	564930
Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what I was trying to talk her into was go aftermarket tire first so long as it will fit the aftermarket wheel she will want down the road. I'm not sure why she would like to do the wheel first. I think at this point I will just surprise her and when I find out what wheel she is happy with I will order them with tires.

That brings up a question. She has the tire pressure monitoring. I would assume it would be more expensive to order them mounted and balanced with the sensors. Or would the cost of having everything unmounted, swapping the sensors on to the new wheels, and mounting and balancing be more expensive?

Quick Reply: Need your help for DW. Stock tire and AM wheel or Stock wheel and AM tire?!?!?