Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about tires and what is needed to make them pop out and look beefy

Old 11-09-2018, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Question about tires and what is needed to make them pop out and look beefy

Some JK's I see on the trail have tires that look beefy and pop out. I have 35's, but they dont seem to pop out like the tires in the image attached. I even have Poison Spyder fender and stubby front bumper, but still my tires do not pop out as much. Is there an modification that need to be made to make it pop out? If so, I'd like to know what they are.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You want the tires to sit further out? or you want them to appear thicker?

Moving further out is the backspace/offset of the rims. Either get new rims with a lower backspace, or add wheel spacers like the 1.5" Spidertrax. Or wider axles, but that's a bit spendy just for the look. (Stock backspace is about 6.25". Most recommendations for 35" tires are about 4.5" backspace. Or, stock rims with those spacers is 6.25 - 1.5 = 4.75" backspace...)

If you want the tire to appear thicker, either get wider tires, or wider rims.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You want the tires to sit further out? or you want them to appear thicker?

Moving further out is the backspace/offset of the rims. Either get new rims with a lower backspace, or add wheel spacers like the 1.5" Spidertrax. Or wider axles, but that's a bit spendy just for the look. (Stock backspace is about 6.25". Most recommendations for 35" tires are about 4.5" backspace. Or, stock rims with those spacers is 6.25 - 1.5 = 4.75" backspace...)

If you want the tire to appear thicker, either get wider tires, or wider rims.
Right. If you just want a wider stance, you can add some 1.5 or 2 inch wheel spacers. Just make sure you get quality spacers like Spydertrax or Borla and not some cheap Chinese Ebay junk.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

You should have 4.5" BS with your 35s ideally. Honestly, pushing them out further just for the look rather than necessity is going to add a little more stress to things like your ball joints, especially if you wheel at all. Usually what you're seeing with a really wide stance are full width D60s or people running 3.5" BS wheels to accommodate 37s. I personally wouldn't go any wider than what your tire requires. Spacers get to be a bit of a drag.....one more thing to remove when trying to work on brakes or when brakes are required to be pulled for something, and many places tire shops don't want to touch a vehicle that has spacers installed; however, this policy seems to vary across the country. I can tell you that it sux to live somewhere that shops don't want to touch beadlocks or spacers.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are going for the "look" then you can also cut your fenders or get narrow fenders like the picture you posted of the smittybilt fenders

Quick Reply: Question about tires and what is needed to make them pop out and look beefy