Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon wheels/tires on Sahara

Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pirate
Yes your current tmps will work in the rubi rims but then you will have to dismount the tires from the rim on both sets as they are internal to the rim/tire Combo. In my opinion it's not worth the hassle to swap the shocks over, if you want a better ride go with a set of bilstein ones.
As well if your looking at just rubi tires they won't fit your Sahara rims. Rubi rims are 17 and the Sahara rims are 18.
But if they are rim/tire combo they will boot right up, and as they are both 32" wheels you should have no issue with the speedo.
So if I was to go with bilstein's instead how close to the stock ride be with the mud terrains? I was looking to get rubicon tires/wheels or I could always try to find a tire to fit my 18" too. Would the bilstein's give me a little more clearance without getting a lift too?

Since I don't do any extreme trails I would say 32" tires are large enough and hopefully won't hurt the gas mileage too much. I know jeep.com says the 2012 rubi gets the same gas mileage as the sahara but guessing that may be a little false.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

You will need to do some lift to get the extra clearance. If you are not off reading then look at the budget boost.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

First off do you like the way your jeep drives now? Not too rough too soft?
If you like the way it is don't change the shocks.... If its too rough change the shocks to a better high quality shock to improve the ride ( bumps). If you go to a different shock it won't change the ride height just the feel going over bumps.
You will feel a difference in the street tires to mud tires, they will ride a bit rougher but not too bad. They will make more road noise, and require tire rotations evey oil change to keep them runninSg flat and true. You will lose some mpg running the mt over the at, but that can be said for any aggressive tire you will put on. As well if your in a state that sees snow, they take a bit of getting use to, as they suck on ice ( really bad) but you will get use to it. I only run mt year round up here in Canada, and drive all winter on my stock rubi mt. I don't even feel a difference any more between my or at. Only a real difference when I have snow tires ( on girlfriends car)

If you want more height at a low cost you can run a budget boost (BB uses Current spring same ride quality) or you can do coils ( more work new springs new ride quality)

You will not have any problems runnin the rubi rims and tires (32" from factory) as they are the same size as your Sahara rims and tires overall ( 32" for both of them same back spacing on rims). They are just a different rim diameter. All factory rims and tire combo will fit so you can do a 16,17,18 rim combo.

Tires are cheeper for the 17 rims then the 18, so in the long run its will be easier to pick up new rubber when the time comes.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

ATXFIREMAN on here just swapped his factory 16 inch steelys for rubi tyres and wheels. It affected his speedo and mpg meter.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 06-06-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is true, he went from a stock 16 rim and a 30" tire to a stock rubi rim 17 and 32" tire. There is the difference for the speedo and mpg calculator.

Buck312 is going from a stock 18 rim with a 32" tire to a stock rubi 17 rim and 32"tire. His computer won't care what size rim he has only the size of the tire, and it's staying the same. His speedo and mpg calculator won't be affected by the tire swap.

If he was going up to a 33,35,37,40 inch tire then he would have to get a procal or a tuner that would correct the tire size for the computer so his speedo would be correct. The tire diameter is the only thing that makes a difference to the computer. A 32" tall tire is still the same height if it has a 15" rim or a 20" rim.

Quick Reply: Rubicon wheels/tires on Sahara