Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rugged Ridge XHD failure, bent swivel pin

Old 12-28-2020, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge XHD failure, bent swivel pin

Hi fellas, I'm new to this forum and new to Jeeps/offroading. I have a 2014 Rubicon JK.
I had a mishap on a trail the other day. My Tire Carrier popped open and bent the pin that stops and holds it in open position. Now it doesn't want to fully open and I have hard time closing it. Latch is kinda lose which apparently was the cause, looks like it's a design flaw there. I searched over the net and see many others have complained about similar issue. No matter where I look, I can't find replacement for that pin, neither the latch.
Does anyone who experienced similar problem have a suggestion?

(sorry if I posted in the wrong section, could not find more appropriate one)

Old 12-28-2020, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'd contact Rugged Ridge. They catch a lot of flak about being a low brow parts place but they're willing to help you out.
The following users liked this post:
Miro (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

I created a support ticket today. The phone number listed on their website is disconnected or something. I will post once I get a response.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

It's been a week now and no answer from this company. Anybody has had success contacting them who can share email/phone#?
Old 01-07-2021, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I had success contacting them, but it's been a while and I don't have contact info. Have you tried social media? It seems companies are going that direction and not listening as much to the email route.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I literally just called this number on Rugged Ridge's homepage - 770-614-6101

I got through to a customer service person. I did not realize that
Omix-ADA, Rugged Ridge, and Alloy USA were all related. Am I missing something?
Old 01-07-2021, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks all, I'll try the phone number tomorrow. I took it to a buddy of mine's metal shop today. We cut off the bent portion of the pin, took it out, welded them back together and sanded it down to fit back into its cylinder. We also expanded the bolts' wholes on the latch lock and adjusted for better grip. Then we found out there are 2 rubber stoppers mounted on the lift gate that have metal counter stoppers mounted on the other side of the the spare tire's frame. and those are adjustable to keep the spare tire frame tight. All these gymnastics took us couple of hours, and if I had taken it to a regular metal shop, it would have costed me dearly to rework something so expensive and that should have worked as designed out of the box. Sadly, it didn't and they seem not care about this much, since emails are ignored. I'd question any other product that this company makes and think twice before purchasing anything else with that brand name. I'll still try to contact them one more time and see what they say, if they will be willing to send me a new latch mechanism to replace the badly designed one.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge XHD failure, bent swivel pin