Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Up and down travel

Old 09-06-2021, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Up and down travel

Good morning. Im getting ready to install Rock Jock Anti Rock Sway bar kit. According to the instructions, finding the up and down travel distances is very important. My question is, how do I find that out? I don't have speciality tools, but I wouldn't event need to.

I have a 2014 JK Spot with a 3.5 Skyjacker lift with 33 in Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Thanks!!
Old 09-07-2021, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Just jack it up and adjust the links using the instructions. Then find a rock or something to crawl up one tire on and make sure the arm doesn't hit anything...I really dought that your JK will flex enough with your mods to ever be a issue.
The following users liked this post:
muddyboots (09-18-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caryt
Just jack it up and adjust the links using the instructions. Then find a rock or something to crawl up one tire on and make sure the arm doesn't hit anything...I really dought that your JK will flex enough with your mods to ever be a issue.

Thanks. The instructions aren't very clear. It says you need to get a measurement for the up travel and then one for down and add those together. Then divide by 2. Thats its.... that means nothing to me.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Do you have the specs for your shocks to use as a baseline? Not needed if you are measuring travel, but good to know.

As an example, 30" extended length - 20" collapsed length = 10" travel.
At normal ride height, this could allow 5" of up travel, and 5" of down travel. But, added lift could change the values to something like 7" up and 3" down, and bumpstops/straps may limit the travel so maybe it is 5" down but only 3" up (for 8" of travel instead of the 10" the shock gives). Which is why they are asking for the up/down travel on 'your' jeep, not just the value from the shock.

As noted, you could use a big rock, or a loading dock behind a store, or a tree stump, or a forklift, or a ramp at a local 4x4 shop, or... As you drive a tire up onto the object, one shock will collapse while the other extends. The up/down measurements you get won't be as good as if you pull a tire, disconnect the shock and cycle the suspension, but it's easier and might work just fine for you.

As caryt mentioned, probably not something you need exact measurements for with your current build. Just try to verify there is no rubbing before you leave town. Better to find out before you are out on the trail.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Best advice I can give is to research how to measure for bumpstops. There are a number of measurements you need to do that amount to your measuring up and down travel for clearance. I personally used a jack to raise and lower my wheel to its limits as I never see any rocks worth or able to be climbed (i.e., not behind a fence or in the roundabout near my house surrounded by decorative plants and neighbors who "wouldn't get it") unless I am at an off-road vehicle park and then it's time for fun and not doing a bunch of measurements! LOL

Quick Reply: Up and down travel