Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upsizing?

Old 01-26-2020, 12:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upsizing?

Right now I知 currently running 33s with a 2.5 lift however I知 due soon for some new tires and I was thinking of going for some 35s the only problem with this however is that it is my daily driver and I知 a recently new driver so I知 not sure if the stability would worsen or not and if so should I just lift it 1 more inch instead?

This is my current set up
Old 01-26-2020, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The thought process is that for taller/wider tires, you should move them a bit further out to give more clearance in the wheelwells (less backspace on the rims, or rim adapters/spacers). If you add an inch of height, any change in stability should be offset by both the wider tires and the lower backspace pushing them out further.

Stock backspace is around 6.25". The general recommendation for 35x12.50's is 4.50" backspace (so, moved 1.75" further out than stock, though that recommendation is open to interpretation...) Do you know the backspace on those rims?
The following users liked this post:
DtheJeep (01-26-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I would say go up to 35s, you already have the lift, and aftermarket wheel. I don't see why not. It's a 4-door, so it has a longer wheel base, and is more stable than a 2-door. I don't see it being a hole lot different from what you have now handling wise. Just look for the lighter tires, that will help. Go after something like a GoodYear Diratrac, or something along those lines with the snowflake rating, and never look back. They will handle wet pavement almost as well as they do dry, and snow/ice won't be an issue.

Happy Jeeping!
The following users liked this post:
DtheJeep (01-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Upsizing?