Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels and Tire Upgrade

Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels and Tire Upgrade

I have a 2011 stock JKU SAHARA that I got pre-owned with 26, 000 miles. I am taking the previous owner did not rotate the tires as the front ones are a little worn. I am looking to upgrade to something different and I am wondering what the cbeapest or best deal. I was thinking about going back to 16" black steel wheels as the tires at the 16 are cheaper than 18. I want to get something bigger and more aggressive but that wont break the bank.

Any input is appreciated. Also an update the radio I bricked by updating it was replaced by a dealer at no charge.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shaw2290
I have a 2011 stock JKU SAHARA that I got pre-owned with 26, 000 miles. I am taking the previous owner did not rotate the tires as the front ones are a little worn. I am looking to upgrade to something different and I am wondering what the cbeapest or best deal. I was thinking about going back to 16" black steel wheels as the tires at the 16 are cheaper than 18. I want to get something bigger and more aggressive but that wont break the bank.

Any input is appreciated. Also an update the radio I bricked by updating it was replaced by a dealer at no charge.

Cheapest way to go is to grab some rubi take offs. Got a set of 5 rims & wheels with only 8k miles for $500. I see them on craigslist all the time
Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is funny cause that was my first idea, but I was also looking to see about new stuff too. Just for ideas
Old 01-19-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dumb question, I am looking at a set up with cragger soft 8. The question is can I move my tpms from my current wheels to these. Second if I dont will the remote start work. My remote start shut off when I had the malfunction indicator light on thst was fixed, wondering if it will do the same for the tpms
Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shaw2290
Dumb question, I am looking at a set up with cragger soft 8. The question is can I move my tpms from my current wheels to these. Second if I dont will the remote start work. My remote start shut off when I had the malfunction indicator light on thst was fixed, wondering if it will do the same for the tpms
Yes, you can move the sensors to the new rims. A tire store may want to use a "service kit" to change the valve core but no big deal.

I don't think that low-tire warnings effect OEM remote starter function but you can test it by lowering the pressure of one of your tires....

Note that your 2011 sensors are about halfway through the predicted battery lifespan (6-9 years).

Also, not all sensors are compatible across different JK model years, so if you want new sensors do your homework first.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

A slightly used set from someone who's upgrading, is probably a good bet.

i sold my Goodyear Duratrac 33/70/17's really cheap when I upgraded.

it seems most JK's have 17's, or is that just my experience?

matthew

Quick Reply: Wheels and Tire Upgrade