Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

$2 Colder A/C mod

Old 08-28-2011, 12:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $2 Colder A/C mod

Here in Texas it gets hot and my Air conditioner was cutting it. My A/C worked OK but, not cold enough. You may not need to do this mod if you roll topless/doorless or live up north.

I just wanted to share my results with you. Now, the temperature coming out of my vents is about 13 degrees colder and sits right around 42 degrees. Feel free to post up and share your results or input.

In short, you will be splicing in a resister across two wires that go to the evaporator temperature sensor.

I ended up using a 20K ¼-watt resistor that I picked up at a local electronics supply. I tried different values to achieve the coldest temperature without it freezing up.

I started with a potentiometer or pot and turned the dial until I achieved the desired results. You don’t need the pot, it was just easier for me since I didn’t have a base value to work off of. You could even install the pot on the dash to adjust on the fly. I am still not sure if I would need/want to do that though. Once I achieved the desired result, I just measured the resistance across the terminals and went shopping for my resistor.

The thermistor/sensor from the factory could vary so the resistor value needed will also slightly vary. You may have to go with a lower or higher value. The mod is easy enough to try with different values. I would try the 20K to start with since my choice was conservative.

The pack of 10 was only $2.

Here we go:

Remove the lower trim piece below the dash by releasing the plastic retainers. I used a plastic trim tool to avoid any scratches

Click image for larger version

Name:	3Bj2B.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	680548

Remove the two screws (referenced as #2 )holding the instrument cluster bezel and pry it of once done.

Name:	VDMEf.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	680549

Remove the 4 screws that secure the instrument cluster in place

Name:	vcJyZ.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	680550

We will be working with the black and brown connectors

Name:	woiPX.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	680551

The first wire you will be jumping the resistor across. Dark blue wire with light green tracer

Name:	LIjaR.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	680552

Looking from the front of the connector it is pin 7

Name:	hKtzQ.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	680553

The second wire is dark blue with a dark green tracer

Name:	FPRRn.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	680554

Looking from the front of the connector it is Pin 14

I will post a pic of the resistor spliced in once I finish it up and have some time.

Last edited by shockwaveaz; 08-28-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Why not show the resisters in place?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Serg5000
Why not show the resisters in place?
I am still testing with a temp install, I have not installed it properly with heat shrink and solder. After my road trip coming up I will and or decided if I will be using an adjustable pot.

Also, can a mod move my post to the correct forum. Thanks.

Last edited by shockwaveaz; 08-28-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was brought up about a year and half or more ago. A few of us in vegas did this and it made a difference.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Basically you're tricking the computer into thinking that the AC is a little bit warmer than it really is. I'm curious about this in the long-term, if it leads to increased wear/tear.
I think anytime you try to squeeze out more output, you will wear out components at a faster rate. The question is: how fast? The compressor will run a bit longer to maintain the lower temperature. However, the additional run time would hardly wear it out. You may see a difference in fuel consumption though. Again, this would be minimal. In my case, I would rather not be hot.

I guess only time will tell.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

The easiest way to make your a/c colder is to under fill it by a ounce or two. Very good mechanic friend of mine told me that. Thought he was nuts until he did it to mine.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by strapped
The easiest way to make your a/c colder is to under fill it by a ounce or two. Very good mechanic friend of mine told me that. Thought he was nuts until he did it to mine.
Good to know. I did not know that.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am a refrigeration mechanic. I would not perform either of these mods on my jeep. Neither the resistor install nor the undercharging method.

This is simply my own opinion based on the experience I have had in the industry and my own attained knowledge of refrigeration and it's applications and capabilities.

Your compressor generates heat from mechanical movement. If the designed refrigerant capacity is not there to help remove heat then it overheats. Overheating causes seals to not last refrigerant break down and oil breakdown.

If your compressor runs for extended periods in higher than normal ambient conditions the same situation happens. The jk already has heat issues under the hood and you live in Texas. This 2$ install might lead to. 1000$ aev heat reduction hood..... I'm not saying thats a bad thing though. I just got mine installed and love it. Mpg has jumped to 16.5 stock 2008 rubicon.

I would be curios to see operating conditions however with my aev hood gauges hooked up to the system and temp sensors for proper superheat calculations. Likely the results of the test would not please me Too much effort for my own peace of mind though and my ac works fine for the weather I see.

Last edited by SKTN Rubi; 08-29-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Good info. Although, I and many others have been doing this to vehicles for a while and personally speaking I have not had any problems.

I was pretty conservative with my temp choice. I'm honestly not worried about it.

Just sharing info as you have. Thanks for taking the time to give your input.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

subscribed... it gets about 120* here, so want to look into this...

Quick Reply: $2 Colder A/C mod