Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

$3 Roc Dog Fab License Plate Mount Modification

Old 03-15-2010, 07:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default $3 Roc Dog Fab License Plate Mount Modification

Recently we began running the Roc Dog Fab License Plate Mount and love it, note because we like seeing our license plate but because it helps to keep us legal to the CA laws. But as often is the case all good things can be improved upon. For instance the Roc Dog uses a 12" cable leash so it can be removed during winching which is nice, however, if you are like us we hated seeing the license plate in all our cool off roading pics. So for $3 you can follow a 3 step process to making a quick disconnect system that will allow you to remove it easily when off roading.

1. To do this you gust simply need to take the cable leash and cut it with a pair of dykes. You'll need to strip away the coating on the cable by using stripers (22-18 guage will do just fine).

2. Next take a the male 1/4" Quick Disconnect Crimp-On connector and attach it to the License plate end of the cable and using your crimpers clamp down on the connector.

3. Next do the same thing using the female 1/4" Quick Disconnect Crimp-On connector and attach to the bumper/winch side of the cable.

Now simply plug the male side into the female side and your done. A quick and simple way to attach and detach the license plate while off road.

I used the Radio Shack Fully Insulated - Crimp-On Quick Disconnects, they come in a package of 5 male 1/4" (22-18 guage) and 5 female 1/4" (22-18 guage). When plugged together they are real secure so you have the comfort of knowing the thing will be there if you pulled it out during winching and forgot to slap it back on. But the real benefit (well at least for us ) is you can run without the ugly license plate during your off road adventures enjoying your photo ops that much more when you check out the pics!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you need the retainer? I simply did this:

Old 03-15-2010, 08:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
Why do you need the retainer? I simply did this:
The leash helps keep track of it when winching and if you have the roller type fairlead the mod you followed works great but for those of us running aluminum fairleads there aren't too many options for running the license plate...well at least while your on the road where you can take it off when off road.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great license plate mount! i have been wondering how i would mount mine once i get my winch on my lod signature shorty stinger. great idea!

Quick Reply: $3 Roc Dog Fab License Plate Mount Modification