Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

~WRITE-UP~ Bodylift (Body Mount) Locations Schematic

Old 01-08-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~WRITE-UP~ Bodylift (Body Mount) Locations Schematic

I've seen several posts asking about body mount locations for bodylifts on 2-dr & 4-dr JKs, so I threw something together to hopefully help locate them.

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 01-12-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
I've seen several posts asking about body mount locations for bodylifts on 2-dr & 4-dr JKs, so I threw something together to hopefully help locate them.

Very nice Sas. Now lets hear back from those who did the Bl? Which brand did you go with and why? Daystar, M.O.R.E., etc....
Old 01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
Very nice Sas. Now lets hear back from those who did the Bl? Which brand did you go with and why? Daystar, M.O.R.E., etc....
Thanks 08JK, in response to your inquiry I went with a 2" BDS bodylift and loved it. I do have a manual so the inner boot was a challenge and I made a writeup for it which worked excellent. Aside from having to heat/bend my shifter accordingly to compensate for bodytub to shifter tower geometry it was a great kit. I removed it a few months later and we installed it on N2Rock's 4-dr JK (auto) and it went smooth and his JK looks like a green military monster...well he has other monster items on his JK . I liked the BDS kit because it came with rear bumper brackets raising it 2". In closing I would have kept the 2" BDS kit if I had an auto and 4-dr, it never did look quite right to me on the 2-dr for some reason
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

damn your JK looks 2" taller than mine now ...I'd say "time for 37s " but I have to pay off my fancy TV first

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 02-18-2009 at 04:00 AM. Reason: removed quoted text
Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
Thanks 08JK, in response to your inquiry I went with a 2" BDS bodylift and loved it. I do have a manual so the inner boot was a challenge and I made a writeup for it which worked excellent. Aside from having to heat/bend my shifter accordingly to compensate for bodytub to shifter tower geometry it was a great kit. I removed it a few months later and we installed it on N2Rock's 4-dr JK (auto) and it went smooth and his JK looks like a green military monster...well he has other monster items on his JK . I liked the BDS kit because it came with rear bumper brackets raising it 2". In closing I would have kept the 2" BDS kit if I had an auto and 4-dr, it never did look quite right to me on the 2-dr for some reason
do you think a 1" body lift would cause all these issues with the shifter? I have one on order and hope its not as big a pain in the ass as that sounds to make work right with the 6spd.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

No, you will not have all the issues with the shifter. You will need to trim the inner shift boot though.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

I put on the MORE 1" lift yesterday and definately have issues with the shifter! It is easy to put on except it makes no sense to me you have to hammer the stock washers off the old body mount bolts and reuse them on the new bolts. I would pay a couple of more bucks for some new washers but maybe I'm lazy. Anyway I always wondered about the validity of some people saying things such as "I put on a lift and my axle didn't move any" and the next person says "mine moved a half inch" with the same lift. Now I believe them! The Jeep gods have always smiled on me until this lift (which I like and is a good bang for the buck modification) and the darn shifter boot. I have a unlimited six speed and my shifter is whacked even after I trimmed the inner shift boot. WOL's instructions were perfect and all I used for the install but with all the plastic trimmed off the bottom area to the metal it still wants to pop out of 2,4,6. No previous trans problems, started immediately after I went to back it out of the garage. The upper boot wants to move the shifter to neutral because of the new geometry of the lever to the boot. After reading this thread I figure I need to bend my shift lever to get this fixed. I'm scared to drive it with my hand off the shifter. So....1. how did you go about bending the shifter? 2. Whats the best way to cover this opening so water, fumes, etc. can't get in? Thanks for the great info I get off here.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

is there any place that just sells the bumper brackets? i put a 2 inc lift on my jeep and it didnt come with them which sucks and i didnt pay attention to it when i bought it
Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07JKRUBI
No, you will not have all the issues with the shifter. You will need to trim the inner shift boot though.
which is an issue for some of us, trimming the boot leaves "just the factory foam tower nosie suppression seal" and with trimming involving a gap in the inner boot you lose the water/heat/debris sealing ability of the inner boot. Granted it's not water-proof, but it does provide some water and element resistance.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Will35
I put on the MORE 1" lift yesterday and definately have issues with the shifter! It is easy to put on except it makes no sense to me you have to hammer the stock washers off the old body mount bolts and reuse them on the new bolts. I would pay a couple of more bucks for some new washers but maybe I'm lazy. Anyway I always wondered about the validity of some people saying things such as "I put on a lift and my axle didn't move any" and the next person says "mine moved a half inch" with the same lift. Now I believe them! The Jeep gods have always smiled on me until this lift (which I like and is a good bang for the buck modification) and the darn shifter boot. I have a unlimited six speed and my shifter is whacked even after I trimmed the inner shift boot. WOL's instructions were perfect and all I used for the install but with all the plastic trimmed off the bottom area to the metal it still wants to pop out of 2,4,6. No previous trans problems, started immediately after I went to back it out of the garage. The upper boot wants to move the shifter to neutral because of the new geometry of the lever to the boot. After reading this thread I figure I need to bend my shift lever to get this fixed. I'm scared to drive it with my hand off the shifter. So....1. how did you go about bending the shifter? 2. Whats the best way to cover this opening so water, fumes, etc. can't get in? Thanks for the great info I get off here.
Your last sentence nailed my post above, some think the 1" is golden and have no issues which is great, but most tend to like sealing out the elements. with the 2" bodylift I used my old Navy pipefitting deep sea diving technique of using a simple hardwire template by positioning it at the fulcrum (shift tower) and having it the same shape/pattern as the factory shifter I would see where my knuckles would hit or binding occur and bend the wire accordingly which lined up with the lateral centerline of the shifter handle. Once I found the optimum bend points I pulled the shifter handle back off and heat/bent accordingly, cooled, tested it out and it worked fine. With a whopping 2" BL it was great but still didn't feel like the factory shifter and perhaps it would be better with a 1" BL. Most of the time everything I've read everyones cut their inner-boot and their shifting is just ok at best.

Quick Reply: ~WRITE-UP~ Bodylift (Body Mount) Locations Schematic