Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

'15 JK Sport rear seat fold without tumbling mod

Old 09-10-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '15 JK Sport rear seat fold without tumbling mod

All I wanted to do was fold the damn rear seat down without it rear ending me every time I came to a stop.

So I tried again to re-engineer the fold and tumble bits. Terrible write up I know. Will be more of a show and tell than anything and I was so engrossed in finishing I didn't take enough photos but hopefully you can follow along.

Basically the 2 door sport rear seat has one handle at the top center of the seat. Pulling the handle pulls a cable that releases the hinge allowing the seat to fold. There are 2 more cables attached to that hinge area so that while the seat is folding down it pulls the second cables releasing the floor latches and it tumbles forward.

I disconnected the two floor latch cables from the hinge. Now seat folds but no tumble.

Had to figure out how to make seat tumble when needed. I took the back of the seat off and took off the cushion on the bottom seat. Was way easier than I thought. Bottom cushion and cover are held on by some velcro and plastic snaps. No hog rings or anything like that. Comes off and on really easy. The end of the floor latch cables are attached to the hinge and the cable housings are clipped to the hinge also. So I cut down the cable and housing and rerouted it down to the bottom tube on the seat. I drilled a new mounting hole for the cable clip and swaged the cable end to accept my new Jeep logo nylon pulls. Cut a little slit in the foam and the seat fabric and I now have pulls to release the latches to make the seat tumble.

Terrible write up I know, sorry. Hopefully the pics will tell the story better. Wasn't as easy as I first imagined. Didn't know what was involved until I got the seat apart but I think it is worth it. As mentioned before, this mod has to do with the seat anchor points, possible safety hazard, mod at your own risk.

Seat

[TABLE="class: ncode_imageresizer_warning, width: 640"]
[TR]
[TD="class: td1, width: 20"][/TD]
[TD="class: td2"]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

New pulls

How they were attached originally

[TR]
[TD="class: td2"]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Cutting them down

[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

New location

[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

All Done

Last edited by chadecoen; 09-10-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice. I need something that does the opposite function: Keep it up while it's folded. Nothing like having the back seat come down and squash your groceries when you give some gas, then again when you shift >.>
The following users liked this post:
cidd (02-25-2023)
Old 09-11-2015, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
Very nice. I need something that does the opposite function: Keep it up while it's folded. Nothing like having the back seat come down and squash your groceries when you give some gas, then again when you shift >.>
Hadn't considered that but you are spot on. Works both ways, damn thing rear ends you or flops back down every stop/go and every shift!

Hmmm, I'll have to look at it again. Wonder if some sort of lockout in the up position could be done up.

Chad
Old 09-11-2015, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I saw it in a Quadratec magazine, but they make a bar that fits in the seat bracket to keep it upright and from folding down on groceries 😁.
I will see if I can locate it
Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

i saved this link in order to watch it when i dared to do this mod and now that im finally to the point i look and no pictures@! what happened? anyway you can repost the images? Thanks in adavance!
Old 10-18-2018, 08:38 PM
JK Newbie

I hook a bungee cord to each upright plastic seat belt cover on the B pillar of my 2 dr and pull across behind the folded seat and hook them together. Holds the seat up nicely and you just quickly unhook to put seat back into seating position.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry, the googles moved my photos around recently

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v3pVHSRbAJzYB9wB9
Old 08-19-2022, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Would you happen to have photos of how you removed the seat back? My problem is that my back seat is folded down but will not tumble and is stuck, I can't tumble it if I would want. I need to do this mod out of necessity now. On mine I can see on the drivers side the pull that pulls the lever that is connected to the floor has broken at the spot where the little metal piece bends 90 degrees. Haven't been able to pull on it well enough with needlenose pliers to pop it from the floor.

Originally Posted by chadecoen
All I wanted to do was fold the damn rear seat down without it rear ending me every time I came to a stop.

So I tried again to re-engineer the fold and tumble bits. Terrible write up I know. Will be more of a show and tell than anything and I was so engrossed in finishing I didn't take enough photos but hopefully you can follow along.

Basically the 2 door sport rear seat has one handle at the top center of the seat. Pulling the handle pulls a cable that releases the hinge allowing the seat to fold. There are 2 more cables attached to that hinge area so that while the seat is folding down it pulls the second cables releasing the floor latches and it tumbles forward.

I disconnected the two floor latch cables from the hinge. Now seat folds but no tumble.

Had to figure out how to make seat tumble when needed. I took the back of the seat off and took off the cushion on the bottom seat. Was way easier than I thought. Bottom cushion and cover are held on by some velcro and plastic snaps. No hog rings or anything like that. Comes off and on really easy. The end of the floor latch cables are attached to the hinge and the cable housings are clipped to the hinge also. So I cut down the cable and housing and rerouted it down to the bottom tube on the seat. I drilled a new mounting hole for the cable clip and swaged the cable end to accept my new Jeep logo nylon pulls. Cut a little slit in the foam and the seat fabric and I now have pulls to release the latches to make the seat tumble.

Terrible write up I know, sorry. Hopefully the pics will tell the story better. Wasn't as easy as I first imagined. Didn't know what was involved until I got the seat apart but I think it is worth it. As mentioned before, this mod has to do with the seat anchor points, possible safety hazard, mod at your own risk.

Seat

[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

New pulls

How they were attached originally

[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Cutting them down

[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

New location

[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

All Done
Old 08-19-2022, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by beachbrum
Would you happen to have photos of how you removed the seat back? My problem is that my back seat is folded down but will not tumble and is stuck, I can't tumble it if I would want. I need to do this mod out of necessity now. On mine I can see on the drivers side the pull that pulls the lever that is connected to the floor has broken at the spot where the little metal piece bends 90 degrees. Haven't been able to pull on it well enough with needlenose pliers to pop it from the floor.
Sorry, I don't have them anymore. Would you possibly be able to stick a screwdriver in the holes on the floor and release the latches maybe? Or grab the broken wire with Chanel locks? Sorry man. Good luck

Quick Reply: '15 JK Sport rear seat fold without tumbling mod