Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

2 door custom rear seat (bucket replacing bench)

Old 05-12-2009, 09:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. I only see one drawback. If you have the cargo space filled with stuff like camping gear or suitcases won't you have to unload everything to take advantage of the tailgate access for loading in the infant seat?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Jsr
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great engineering and vision!
Thanks for having a kid and proving that we can still use the 2Dr. JK.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SaginawMike
Looks good. I only see one drawback. If you have the cargo space filled with stuff like camping gear or suitcases won't you have to unload everything to take advantage of the tailgate access for loading in the infant seat?
Yes, that is a drawback. If the cargo area is loaded more than about a foot to foot and a half high, you would need to unload the stroller or gear or whatever before being able to access the infant carrier.

However, most of the gear, I am presuming would be kid related. But in your scenario, let's presume you are fully loaded with your camping gear, suitcases, whatever. So long as the back isn't chock full of stuff with no spare room, you should still be able to get the infant carrier out of the front by reclining the drivers seat a bit and also sliding the passenger seat forward.

Either way, this simply cuts the hassle factor down by about 95%. You won't need to adjust both front seats each time you try to access it. It still isn't the 4 door, but again, 95% of the hassle has now been removed.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 50 Foot Face
Looks great! If you don't have one of Wood's "tailgate holder-opener things", I strongly encourage you to get one. That way, you don't crush yourself or the kid when the gate swings shut on you...
All is well with the kid. Pretty easy to get the kid in and out, so long as I remember to unclick the infant carrier before I get out and walk to the tailgate.

But I was a bit tired of the tailgate hitting me in the arse, so I just installed the "Woods tailgate holder kit." Highly recommended if you go this route. The first Costco run in the rain with the kid made this a no-brainer. Not to mention the fact that I no longer have to deal with the CB antenna messing with the rear window.

PS: I figured out how easy it is to take a flip video and post to youtube (relatives always want the kid videos). Assuming I can post it here as easily, if anyone wants to see the way the kid seat is easily seated and removed with this set-up, just let me know. Happy to show film and post a quick clip for those who may have a kid on the way and want to see the ease of this set-up. (Anything to keep my 2 door.)
Old 11-16-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

great thinking but i am still waiting on the front passenger seat bracket like the tj. maybe 2011 or never.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Been a long time since I added to this. Have many mods now, but will say that it has worked out exceptionally well. Again, I'm about 6' tall, so this may not work for everyone. But it worked great for me. Even with a TrekTop on (squeaking under the crossbar), was pretty easy. Now that my son is in a forward facing seat (the slider on the rear seat helps), it isn't much of a hassle at all. Granted, a door would still be way nice, but my 14 month old just loves to pretend he's driving a Jeep for a minute before being in his seat and being up high to see everything.

We don't yet know or plan for a second kid, but just want to point out again that this is an option. For me, a little back strain, once a day, is and was well worth it. Even after a 2.5" Teraflex lift, 35's, and other mods, I found this very doable. My kid absolutely thinks the Jeep is the coolest thing and doesn't mind the lack of simplicity one bit.

That being said, from an economical standpoint, if you KNOW you'll have 2 or more kids, that should be questioned further. I will keep my 2 door, and modify as necessary, but it will entail more hassle if/when another kid is on the way. For one, unless you are about 5'9" or shorter, this could well be just fine with no lift (guesstimated). But for me, I'm so glad it worked out as well as it did, and figured I'd share that going to a 4 door is not the only option.

But again, should a second kid come along (I will keep still keep the 2 door), but I have yet to figure that out. If and when it happens, I'll post what mods are needed. Have theories, but nothing means much until reality sets in. For now, the third bucket remains fantastically suited for myself and my little Jeeper.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

love this idea. thanks for the post and pictures! now i just need to find a seat, which i dont think will be all that hard. oh Jeep, why are there so many mods that drain my bank account.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

wow that looked like it was just meant to be that way! Great job!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wgrin
wow that looked like it was just meant to be that way! Great job!
Thanks, Wgrin. It has worked out fantastically well for me.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool idea and looks great! Functional too!!

Quick Reply: 2 door custom rear seat (bucket replacing bench)