JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   2 Door Soft Top Strap Fix (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/2-door-soft-top-strap-fix-272471/)

barefooterjr 04-21-2013 11:13 AM

2 Door Soft Top Strap Fix

5 Attachment(s)
If the nylon webbing straps that run from the middle bar to the back bar look like this:
Attachment 449429

Then this write up might be helpful.

You need some 2 inch or 3 inch wide black nylon webbing. I found 25 yards (way too much) of 2 inch wide webbing on amazon.
Search: 2 inch 25 YDS Heavy Black Polypro Webbing for $13.95

You also need 3/16 inch aluminum rivets. I used the "short" ones from Lowes. My pop riveter also crapped out halfway through this project so I had to buy one of those too.
Rivets: ~$5
Pop Riveter: ~$20

I originally borrowed some stainless steel rivets from work, however I learned that you can use these with a manual riveter. So I had to buy aluminum ones. If you have a pneumatic pop riveter, than you can use the stainless ones.

Orient the soft top like this:
So you can get to the front and back rivets easily.
Attachment 449423

Measure out 37 inches of nylon webbing. I originally started with 39, with the rivets a half inch from the ends, this was too loose, then cut it down to 38, still too loose, but 37 worked. This might be different for every top, I don't know. So measure the other side if it is still good first. Cut and burn both ends.
Attachment 449425

I punched some holes for the rivets a half inch from the end with a leather working punch:
Attachment 449426

Then it looks like this:
Attachment 449427

barefooterjr 04-21-2013 11:18 AM

Strap Fix Contd.

4 Attachment(s)
Drill out the old rivets with 3/16 inch drill bit. Add a 3rd hole in between to the center and the right hole:
Attachment 449432

Rivet the strap to the bar:
Attachment 449434

Do the same on the front:
Attachment 449435

I also did the other side, the orginal strap was still usable, I just added 2 more rivets:
Attachment 449433

Done! Top fixed. We will see how this holds up.

This is my first write up, so let me know what you think.

CMEvans 04-22-2013 08:11 AM

Yup! My drivers side looks like that! I was wondering how to fix it! Thanks, I'll have to try that! :thumbsup:

Melissa Patrice Thomas 07-30-2019 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by barefooterjr (Post 3526543)
Drill out the old rivets with 3/16 inch drill bit. Add a 3rd hole in between to the center and the right hole:
Attachment 449432

Rivet the strap to the bar:
Attachment 449434

Do the same on the front:
Attachment 449435

I also did the other side, the orginal strap was still usable, I just added 2 more rivets:
Attachment 449433

Done! Top fixed. We will see how this holds up.

This is my first write up, so let me know what you think.

Hey barefooterjr -

Did you use a lighter to melt the ends of the strap before installing? To keep it from fraying?

Let me know! I just ordered all the materials to do this too.

Melissa

karls10jk 07-30-2019 07:37 AM

Quadratec sells the replacement straps now but I had a similar issue and ended up parting out the top.

As far as melting the ends- I would have to say yes. You don't want them unravelling. I'd punch holes for the rivets with a hot nail to melt those too.