Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

2017 JKU ticking...maybe?

Old 02-04-2019, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 JKU ticking...maybe?

Hey guys, I’m seeking advice from some longtimers. This is my first Jeep (bought in Aug 2017). My Jeep has about 20k miles, but for the last 10k-12k I have heard a faint ticking noise from the passenger side of the engine. The first noise it ever made was one morning, cold morning, and having sat on an incline for 2 days. I started it and it had a very noticeable very loud tick. After I arrived at work the tick was gone and has not been that noticeable or loud since. But starting at the 8-10k miles I noticed it, but super faint in sound. I was parked rather close to another vehicle and you could hear the noise echoing off of it. Ever since then I have paid more attention and I hear it daily.
I have taken it to the dealership 2-3 times and every time they say it’s not the valve train and the noise is normal.
The more I read online and in forums I don’t think it is normal, but I could be wrong being this is the first Jeep I have owned.
I know the difference in injector noise (sewing machine-like) and ticking which is (tick tick tick..like a clock). Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated. Check out the audio/video.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both my 2014 and my 2017 have made the ticking noise. I think it is fuel injectors. But it is a normal sound from these engines.

Quick Reply: 2017 JKU ticking...maybe?