Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

3rd row seat 4dr jk

Old 07-01-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd row seat 4dr jk

*****DISCLAIMER*******
this is how I installed my 3rd row seat, by NO MEANS what so ever am I saying that this is the PROPER and the SAFESTway to do it. This mod may not be approved by the department of transportation or federal highway laws. If you attempt this mod ALL RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY IS ON YOU.
and with that said

so i saw the 3rd row from little seat, and then i saw the seat in the back of an Unlimited post on the site that had a TJ seat modded to fit the back of his jeep. this got my gears turning and this is what i came up with

1. find a good seat. i got mine from a dude that took it out of his 06 TJ and didnt want it. you could find all associated parts from a junk yard your choice.

2. test fit the seat how much room do you want for legs ,storage, and how much room you want between the back of the seat and rear glass. i went with about an inch between the rear of the stock back seat and the back of the TJ seat in the tumble position. that way it would have room to tumble for storage. it also ended up giving me about 4 inches between the rear glass and the back of the seat.

3. once you have an idea of where you want it remove the seat, pull the back carpet up and the fun begins.

4. associated tools, i used a drill with a 3/8 drill bit,
8 GRADE 8 bolts,
8 lock nuts,
8 1 1/2 washers for the bottom holes,
8 1/2 inch washers for the top holes(all sizes were 3/8 holes).
9/16 open end wrench and wratchet and socket
18mm socket,
tape measure,
a sharpie,
a hammer,
center punch,
jack and 2 blocks of wood.

5. and i wish i had a pic, remove the front spring on the seat, this will help you when finding the placement of the rear mounts.

6. set the seat in in tumbled position measure each side to make sure it will straight and centered. i marked the front,back and inside of the front brakets onto the rear pan.
[IMG][/IMG]
measure agian, make sure it is straight and centered, mark center hole and punch, using center punch. measure one last time before you drill !!!!!
it doesnt take much and before you know it you are through the fist layer of sheet metal, making sure you drill is straight up and down proceed drilling throgh the second layer, your drilled through and you can now see the top of your upper rear spring perch. proceed to drill the other 3 holes. drink beer you just driller 4 holes through your jeep, i hope you know what your doing hahaha

7. taking your 18mm socket and wratchet lossen your body bolt. 4 on each side from the rear of the vehicle to about the middle point. i turned them out till i could see bout a half inch of thread. once body bolts are loose you can take your jack and wooden blocks and jack up one side and tighten the front mount down. remember put the big washer on the bottom. you may need help at this point to start the nut on the bolt.
[IMG][/IMG]

this is how it looked underneath with bracket bolts nutz and washers.
[IMG][/IMG]

8. now that the front mount is secured, latch the seat in. roll the seat back, do not pic up on the back of the seat, leave the top down. when you pick up on the back and latch it the latches will slide the rear mounts forward. you want a tight fit, so with the back down place the mounts measure and mark front, back and sides. measure make sure everything is good mark center holes and punch. drill holes, and bolt down. my muffler was already removed so not sure if it will get in the way. now you can bring the back of the seat up and latch it. everything should be tight. drink beer you deserve one.

9. tighten up the body bolts you loosened up in step 7, 8 of them. grab carpet mark and cut. REMEBER I HAVE NOT PUT IN SEATBELTS YET........tbc

this is how mine turn out
storage space seat tumbled
[IMG][/IMG]

leg room
[IMG][/IMG]

well thats how it turned out, i can fit in back and im 5' 11". I havent takled the seat belts yet because i am not sure of the style to use. enjoy.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job! I work at a camp and that would be awesome for shuttling around a couple of extra people. Good work.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

thank you, the reason i did it is the family is growing and i dont want a minivan.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

good job, i agree about the mini-van, that is why i put one in back of mine. i was going to do the same with my old tj seat but wife wanted another option, she wins...here is my post. i still may take the seat out of mine and put the fold and tumble in mine just so i can fold the seat. adapt tj seat to the aftermarket seat bracket i have. how are you going to run the seat belts?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...&highlight=row
Old 07-01-2008, 01:29 PM
***erator

I wish I Came up with this Idea, I just sold my old TJ seat on ebay.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

You would risk your kids, or other people's kids with that?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by forumonlooker
You would risk your kids, or other people's kids with that?
have you ever looked at how seats are mounted ? used grade 8 bolts, bolted through the bodys reinforcement channels, with large washers on the bottom and lock nuts. i still need seat belts and you can bet they will be reinforced,thank you for the concern though

Last edited by bahadden; 07-03-2008 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blkpearl
good job, i agree about the mini-van, that is why i put one in back of mine. i was going to do the same with my old tj seat but wife wanted another option, she wins...here is my post. i still may take the seat out of mine and put the fold and tumble in mine just so i can fold the seat. adapt tj seat to the aftermarket seat bracket i have. how are you going to run the seat belts?

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...&highlight=row
thinking about the type that Y out in the center and two self adjusting laps mounted to the rear brakets, still have about 3 weeks to figure it out. they are going to induce on the 22nd
Old 07-02-2008, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Maybe I am missing something but it appears you still only have seating for 5 people max?? It looks like you just changed the style of rear seat. Can you take a pic from above, with top off to show placment of all seats?
Thanks
Old 07-02-2008, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

nice work man

Quick Reply: 3rd row seat 4dr jk