Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Add light to your interior! $10 or less.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add light to your interior! $10 or less.

These are all the parts I used. LED, Rocker Switch, and some wire/connectors I had laying around.

I got my power from behind the switched cigarette lighter, just patched in. Ran that to the switch (which I forgot to take pictures of), then back to the LED.

Drilled a hole and popped it in. That's about it. 45 mins of work total (due to trial and error) and now I can see my change jar at night =)[code]
Old 07-21-2008, 12:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't believe no one's commented on this yet. Great idea! I see you used a blue LED which I think is the brightest LED you can get. How much light does it produce? If you could take a picture of the light it makes on your center console at night, that would be nice to see.

I hate the fact that the JK does not come with an ashtray and I have one of those cupholder ashtrays but at night I can't see where to ash. I have an old cigarette lighter light I plug in to get some light on the center dash to see it. This mod would be less distractive than digging around in my center console to find it and plugging it in the cigarette lighter while doing 70mph on the interstate at night! LOL

What made you decide to put the LED on the left side? I would have put it in the center but maybe you couldn't because of what was behind the dash in that area? Power windows switches I'm guessing?

Either way, nice job.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good looking mod It definately gives me some ideas
Old 07-21-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant211
i like the led, but not sure if i would have it hooked up to a switch. I'd probably run it with a wire that is hooked up to the headlights/foglights/sidemarker lights, so that whenever i turn on my lights the LED would come on.

I'll probably do this to the JK one of these days. I'd probably do 2 above the A/C controls.
it sounds better to turn it on when you turn your lights, but maybe you don't want it on all the time.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by djdingo
Can't believe no one's commented on this yet. Great idea! I see you used a blue LED which I think is the brightest LED you can get. How much light does it produce? If you could take a picture of the light it makes on your center console at night, that would be nice to see.

I hate the fact that the JK does not come with an ashtray and I have one of those cupholder ashtrays but at night I can't see where to ash. I have an old cigarette lighter light I plug in to get some light on the center dash to see it. This mod would be less distractive than digging around in my center console to find it and plugging it in the cigarette lighter while doing 70mph on the interstate at night! LOL

What made you decide to put the LED on the left side? I would have put it in the center but maybe you couldn't because of what was behind the dash in that area? Power windows switches I'm guessing?

Either way, nice job.
Here is an easy option for you....total cost $3.99 at Pep Boys.....and it works great, one push on and push off

Quick Reply: Add light to your interior! $10 or less.