Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Advance Adapters Shifter Cable Upgrade Write Up!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott W,

Ill tell you first hand, this cable and shifter upgrade fixed my issues with the t-case shifter completely.

My bushing broke once on each side of the shifter at different times.

The second time it broke on the shifter side inside the console. My 4wd light was lit constantly until installing this assembly. Within an hour of install and cycling through the t-case, the light went out and has stayed off until it actually is in 4 hi. What a concept.

Need any tips, let me know. I would be glad to help.

Last edited by sa29560; 12-05-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my cable and installed it. The only issue I ran into was I put the lever that attaches to the T-case on facing the wrong way. This makes it impossible to set the cable length properly. Once I figured out what was going on I had no problems. Shifting the T-case feels smoother than it did before, plus it's nice knowing it won't break on me.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Junkie

That part had me a little thrown off also. I got lucky on my cable ends, i just centered them and tightened them down. I love having the confidence and full control on the t-case shifter as well.

So many parts in the entire assembly get upgraded, from the lever to the cable. Install is relatively easy if you can get the console out. That's the most time consuming step, at least for me.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, removing the center console is a PITA. Once I unhooked the E-brake cables from the rear wheels I could get the brake handle up high enough to remove the console. Not sure where I read that tip but it was helpful. On my Sahara I didn't have to remove the front driveshaft like the instructions say, that must be a Rubicon thing.

Last edited by ScottW; 07-01-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ScottW
Ya, removing the center console is a PITA. Once I unhooked the E-brake cables from the rear wheels I could get the brake handle up high enough to remove the console. Not sure where I read that tip but it was helpful. On my Sahara I didn't have to remove the front driveshaft like the instructions say, that must be a Rubicon thing.
Yeah that drive shaft removal must apply just to the rubicon models only to access the shifter lever bolt. But i was lucky enough to not have to remove the yokes at all. I wish i would have removed my e brake cable! I yanked on that bitch till i almost shat myself to get it standing straight up. If i had to do it all over again, its a no brainer. Best mod to the jeep yet
Old 12-14-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive had my part now, but just havent had time to install. getting to cold to work on it outside. also have a fender flare project i am currently working.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man- in reference to our PMs. The piece I need to replace is UNDER the rubber I can see here? Correct?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4286736910.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	318627  
Old 05-19-2012, 03:30 AM
JK Junkie

That is the boot I removed and replaced with a thinner rubber sheet.

I used silicon to seal it back to the body. That boot just looks funky anyways. I should have taken pics of doing this, but most people seem interested in dealer fixes. I wouldn't let the dealer near my vehicle if they paid me.

Last edited by sa29560; 05-19-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 4x shift cable broke at the most inopportune time. My wife likes to go for rides, but draws the line when 4lo and lockers will no longer allow unassisted forward progress. When the cheap plastic "designed to break" let go under shifter, I needed to finish the trail in 2hi. Yes, I could have jammed it back into 4hi, maybe even 4lo, but reaching around the hot exhaust pipe was painful enough. I winched through a couple of boulder fields and made the trail no prob, but the wife wasn't appreciating winching anything.

The little plastic clip by the t-case literally disintegrated when I touched it. Engine heat, which is almost as bad as Arizona summers, took its final toll. I got the Advance Adapters shift cable upgrade (always upgrade, never just replace). This thing should be just about bullet-proof. Didn't think it was possible until I tried it, but the boot on the transmission hump fit around the new cable too.

Now, got to get the PowerPlant fixed and the driver's airbag working again. But that's for a different thread.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Junkie

Seems like it always breaks when you need it to work. Irony is a cold witch.

Same thing happened here, first time around. Here I am almost a year after the upgrade and I couldn't be happier. Cable works every time, no issues at all.

Best upgrade to the jk, period.

Quick Reply: Advance Adapters Shifter Cable Upgrade Write Up!!!