Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Angry Headlights

Old 01-16-2010, 08:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As bad as these lights are on the JKs why would you reduce the effectiveness of them?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by alt_phil
Same reason you'd spend 30 grand on something you're going to tear up on the rocks.

Because the difference between hobby and mental illness is a thin freakin' line. Because sometimes, function and look blur. Because it's cool as hell, and that's all that should matter most of the time

---

Love the headlights, man. It's a bit presumptuous for me though. My rig ain't mean lookin' enough to sport a mean look.
I agree on what you said..... but reducing the effectiveness of your headlights just is not safe or responsible in my opinion. I have put 15k+ in my 35k rig and I beat the hell out of it. BUT I would never reduce any of the safety systems to look cool. My mods increase the ability and safety of my Jeep, not hinder or reduce them.

To each thier own. I know I could sport the look on my Jeep and it would look good. My wife drives it. IF for a reson that my mod reduced the safety of the rig to see a deer/elk/cow/dog/person in the road and she got hurt or hurt someone I could never forgive myself. Anyone doing this should first consider this.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Lo2aY

^I think that's why he has all those other lights...that are far brighter than the stockers, and @ least one pair is legal to be on @ the same time as the headlights (in most states)
Old 01-17-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JEEP GREEN 4DR
Trying to decide which has better ground clearance - your Jeep or that high horse you're riding

I could sort of understand your post if the guy had no other lights on his rig, but your post just comes off kinda summers eve.
Yeah Iam a pussy with high ground clearance and just want to keep my Jeep safe for others on the road. Before you start check your local laws. Where I live all off-road lights must have covers. I don't know what your thinking but those lights are not street legal. Vehicle codes state that the headlights must not be covered. Those are covered. So come on call me some more names. I like it. Or are you the one who smells like Summers Eve and can be big on the internet?

So understood I smell like Summers Eve and also a BIG pussy. So be it.

Last edited by wildandwillin; 01-17-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for all the comments guys...

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
As bad as these lights are on the JKs why would you reduce the effectiveness of them?
good question... your right it does reduce effectiveness... although I haven't seen that much difference to be honest. actually I don't see any difference in my light pattern. maybe because of the housing or maybe because i'm blind

and like others said, I have the other lights when I need them!

reason for the write up is for all the PMs i've been getting about how to do them.

I understand your point but I would have to disagree about the safety part. in your case.. you have a lift kit (from your sig.) and that's not safe for road use. or actually it's not "safer" then what it was before. so really this mod might not suit you or many others. but I like it.. it adds character

Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi

I think we all get it. This mod's not for you. You think it's unsafe and potentially illegal (but what isnt illegal in crazyfornia? ) . Still no call for you to piss on a guy's parade with your own ideas of what's safe and legal. If you don't like the mod, leave your headlights alone.

Your comments came across as belittling and condescending, which in turn made you sound like something of a schmuck. I've yet to see anything coming from your end of the pool to convince me otherwise.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Now Iam a schmuck??? Seems your the jerk here. It is a public forum with the public giving their opinion. I never once turned to name calling and being a jerk. I was just putting out a safety issue that everyone should be aware of. You started it and trust me Iam not one to let it go. So Yes I agree to diasgree with a jerk who starts name calling on the forum. In my opinion you have alot of growing up to do.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Jedi

Colorado class B misdemeanor

Section
42-4-205. Head lamps on motor vehicles.

PA Codes are the same as Crazyfornia

Its also a class C misdemeanor in your home state

MOTOR VEHICLE CODE § 4303: GENERAL LIGHTING REQUIREMENTS

maybe you should read and learn before you speak
Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Lo2aY
Thanks for all the comments guys...

good question... your right it does reduce effectiveness... although I haven't seen that much difference to be honest. actually I don't see any difference in my light pattern. maybe because of the housing or maybe because i'm blind

and like others said, I have the other lights when I need them!

reason for the write up is for all the PMs i've been getting about how to do them.

I understand your point but I would have to disagree about the safety part. in your case.. you have a lift kit (from your sig.) and that's not safe for road use. or actually it's not "safer" then what it was before. so really this mod might not suit you or many others. but I like it.. it adds character

I totally agree I think its a good looking mod. I was just saying that the mod is not legal in many states. I put the codes up for you, along with what they result in a ticket. My lift is well within the requirements of the law. There are hight limitations that are put out and I follow them.

My Jeep is in the limits of the codes in my state and the other states I work in.

Iam just defending my statement as are you. You or I had never called each other names or insinuated with your posts. Know its gone personal between me and the guy from PA so now I post up Vehicle codes to prove my point.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:39 PM
JK Jedi

Good god, man. Read my sig.

Sounds like someone needs a hug.
Actually I could ,have not seen my wife in 4 weeks

Last edited by wildandwillin; 01-17-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi

Jesus, if you're going to cite a source, at least do it properly. PA vehicle code, Title 75, Part IV, Chapter 43:
CITATION HERE makes no reference to any portion of this modification being illegal in any way. Further, the only off-road lights specified in subsection 4303 (f) are those mounted to the roof or roll bar.

+1 for actually finding the section in the PA vehicle code dealing with lighting requirements, but minus several million for failing to actually read any of it.
actually i did read it there are subsections for more lights including headlights. Keep reading

Quick Reply: Angry Headlights