Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Another mans shift linkage repair

Old 10-17-2011, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy way to get the knob off. Take a Crestent wrentch (I used 10") close it down until it touches the shaft of the shifter then start out lightly tapping the wrentch from the bottom with a hammer. I hit it about four times and it popped right off!
And you don't hit yourself

Last edited by Boilerhoss; 10-18-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Something wrong with this thread

I've been very pleased with the information I've gotten from this forum, but something is really wrong with the information regarding this fix. I purchased the bushing that Sarge said in his post would fit and the pin on the shifter is much to large to fit in the inside hole of the bushing. It also looks like the outside diameter of the bushing is smaller than the hole in the cable end. Nothing is the right size. My JK is a 2010 unlimited and either the bushing information that Sarge posted is wrong or Jeep changed the size of the plastic bushing. I couldn't get the stock bushing out of the cable end, so I just cut a hole in the side of the center console so that I can get to that shift mechanism and put everything back together. I made a cover for the hole and am calling it good. I am really surprised that someone else hasn't had the same experience.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Nope, you didn't read from the start of the thread. This whole problem has been a work in progress. Several different people have tried different approaches with different results. Nothing has been an off the shelf replacement. All we know for sure is that the factory bushing is junk. My first fix was a copper bushing from a water fitting. Several folks have tried different approaches with different results. The magic bullet has not been invented yet. Keep looking, and post when you find it!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SargeW
Nope, you didn't read from the start of the thread. This whole problem has been a work in progress. Several different people have tried different approaches with different results. Nothing has been an off the shelf replacement. All we know for sure is that the factory bushing is junk. My first fix was a copper bushing from a water fitting. Several folks have tried different approaches with different results. The magic bullet has not been invented yet. Keep looking, and post when you find it!
The reason I posted is because the Hillman bushing from Lowes is not the right size to be of any use. If any others buy this bushing thinking it will fix the problem, it won't. I couldn't find the Watts bushing at Home Depot. Perhaps it is the right size, but the Hillman one is not and it is wasting peoples time and money to suggest that it will fit.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

NO, I said it once and I will say it again. This is NOT an off the shelf automatic fix. Read the posts, especially from Gundude on page 4. He had grommets specially made for his Jeep and two for his buddy's that was an 09'. They fit on his, and not on his buddy's.

If Jeep would step up and make an OEM replacement for this poorly designed item, we wouldn't need to invent parts to keep from being stranded out in the boon docks. There are apparently differences in different model years, and from one end of the cable to the other. I don't know why, ask Jeep.

This thread is a heads up for all Jeep owners, and a discussion of what has worked for them. IF you have something to contribute, then make it better for all of us.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok. Have to buy this small thing and have it in trunk.....
Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have a pic of the transfer case side? I guess I'm going to shop for the right fitting piece at lowes or home depot before mine fails.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

TC side broke tonight after 4-6 inches of snow. At least it's in 4H LOL.
You can easily put the cable back on and shift to 2H but is a one time deal.
Need a pic of one not broken so I can make or buy a replacement. We will find a working part!!
Old 12-04-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First pic, stock linkage.

Quick fix, lose the bushings or whatever, get a 1/8 inch bolt of any type and a nut.

Second pic, same kind of concept, but its an entire linkage. Cable, linkage and shifter assembly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111204_172016.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	245501   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111204_172050.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	245503  
Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SargeW
There is an inherent weakness in the transfer case shift cable used by Jeep. The shift cable that runs from the 4 wheel drive selector in the console to the transfer shift case has a plastic bushing that secures the cable to the shift point. This plastic bushing can and will fail without warning, and usually at the most inopportune times. The cable itself is fine, heavy steel cable with an attached machined steel fitting on each end.

Inside the fitting a plastic bushing serves as the spacer to allow the steel fitting to rotate freely on the shaft on the shifter in the console, or the shaft on the transfer case lever, and as a pinch nut to secure the cable onto the shaft as well. When the bushing fails the cable will pop off of the shaft preventing you from shifting into, or out of 2WD, 4WD, or neutral. This can be a real problem if you are towing the Jeep 4 down, are about to tow the Jeep 4 down, or just want to shift into or out of one of the Jeeps low ranges.

The bushing has failed on me twice now since it was new in 2008. The first time it failed I had about 10K miles on the Jeep and was in Alabama. We were not able to shift the transfer case into Neutral to tow it so we drove it to a nearby Jeep dealer who replaced the bushing in the console. That took about 6 hours of sitting around waiting. We were not really informed as to the problem at the time, and were just happy to get back on the road. BTW, the bushing costs about .38 cents to buy.

This time it let go we were leaving El Capitan State Beach in Ca on a Friday morning. I hooked up the Jeep to tow behind the motor home and got in and tried to move the shifter into neutral. No luck, just a sloppy shift handle. I knew right away what it was. This time there was no dealer close, and we were do at the next campground about 200 miles north that afternoon. And there was no way I would get an appointment at a Jeep dealer the same day on a Friday on a holiday weekend.

Since I frequent this site, I was better prepared this time to handle the short term repair. First I slid under the Jeep with a large pair of channel lock pliers and moved the transfer shift lever into neutral. We were able to tow to the next place as planned. Moving it back at the next campground was a little more challenging but doable.

Now the fix. The only place close was a Home Depot. I knew I was going to have to take the console apart and get to the shifter linkage. That in itself was a little daunting since I didn't do it before. But it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

After getting the console off, I discovered that it was a two part problem. First the linkage had popped off of the "cable keeper" about six inches in front of the bushing. Second the shifter bushing was cracked and falling apart as well. Both would have to be taken care of to put the Jeep back in service. The biggest issue was going to be the shifter bushing. Replacing the plastic bushing with another one was not an option. It is obviously a poorly engineered part. (My research into this problem revealed chronic failure of this bushing, some after as little as 100 miles.)

After much searching at Home Depot, I finally came up with a brass bushing that was actually part of a Watts water line fitting. The diameter was close and I just needed to shorten the length of the bushing. I used a small pipe tubing cutter to cut it down to size. I did squeeze the end of the brass bushing a bit with the tubing cutter. I had to flare it back out a touch by pressing a pair of needle nose pliers in the end and turning the bushing as I pressed. To hold it on the shifter hitch lever, I went with a stainless hitch pin.

With a new bushing and a hitch pin to hold it in place the shifter now worked as designed. To keep the shift keeper on the cable in the correct location, a few zip ties will keep it from moving around. In my research I learned that the failure rate of the bushing was really common, and which end of the cable would fail is a toss up. Unfortunately you usually don't know that the bushing has failed until you attempt to move the shift lever. Often the shifter will select the appropriate gear range, and it's not until you try to move it back that you find out that you are stuck in what ever range you had previously selected.

Some folks had to get towed to a dealer for repair, and some were able to drive it there. As of this date, Chrysler has no plans to produce a modified bushing. There is an after market company that makes and sells a replacement shift cable with different ends, but it sells for about $200.

I was able to source a different bushing at a Lowes store today that looks like it will fit the bill without having to cut it down. The hitch pin is still the recommended method of holding cable onto the shift pin. It is the last pic.

If anyone in interested in how to remove the console, let me know and I can post up some pointers. But this post turned out longer than I had anticipated already

The whole cost of the repair, including the tubing cutter was under $20. If I could have found the bushing without the large nut, it probably would have been less than half the cost. The bushing I found at Lowes was less than $3. I bought two.......
Has anyone had any luck doing this with a 2007? I'm still ok with mine but do not want it to fail on me. I have had several friends break theirs.

SargeW. Was the hillman bushing the one you cut down? What is the Watts bushing for? Is that the one you found that does not look like it would need to be cut down? Thanks for the help and write up!! I'm going to tackle this today if possible.

Quick Reply: Another mans shift linkage repair