Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Attention all clunky steering people

Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK guys never mind.....I got fed up and removed the steering shaft. I pulled down the boot, massaged some fifth wheel grease into the splines, used a hose clamp to secure the upper boot and boom! No more clunk! WhooooooHoooo! Verry happy with the results, it feels like new again. I wonder why they don't fill that boot up with grease from the factory?:

P.S. For anyone who cares to know here is the grease I used....
Delo Greases EP
Chevron Delo Greases EP are technically advanced, extreme pressure greases for on- and off-road applications. Four types of Delo Greases EP are available for use in a range of high- or low-temperature conditions.

Features
Delo Grease EP NLGI 1 and 2 are recommended for temperature range from -18°C to 177°C (0°F to 350°F); Delo Grease EP NLGI 00 and 0 can be used at temperatures as low as -34°C (-30°F)

• A high dropping point of approximately 266°C (510°F), results in excellent high temperature stability up to 177°C (350°F)

• High performance in unusually demanding conditions of high and low temperatures.

Applications
• On-highway, heavy duty trucks: wheel bearing and chassis applications including steering drag links, king pins, transmission cross shaft spring pins, shackle pins, brake cam shafts, and fifth wheel faceplates and pivots.

• Off-highway vehicles: haul trucks, loaders, tractors, cherry pickers.

• Medium- and light-duty trucks and buses: Class 7 and Class 6 vehicles requiring extreme duty greases

Select Performance Specifications
• Exceeds NLGI Certification Mark GC-LB (NLGI 1 and 2)

• Mack® MG-C grease specification
Old 08-20-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have got to do this,that clunking is driving me crazy as well!!!!
where did you purchase the grease??
Old 08-20-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fish
i have got to do this,that clunking is driving me crazy as well!!!!
where did you purchase the grease??
I purchased it from a local trucking company. I asked for 5th wheel grease and thats what they gave me (see above). They said its "good stuff" very resistant to heat. I had to call a few places though.
Its so wierd how it works. When i put the shaft back on it felt the same but no clunk when driving! When I was greasing the shaft and working it in, the shaft did actuate alot smoother though. The hose clamp is the way to go too. It looks profesional! They should have used grease and a removable clamp to begin with.
Go for it it was really easy and totally worth the effort! Let us know how it goes for you....you won't be dissapointed!

Its amazing how these things get figured out on this forum. I would have NEVER found the problem!

Last edited by cmpmacchia; 08-20-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Hmm...I've got a tub of wheel bearing grease at home. That outta do the trick.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
I purchased it from a local trucking company. I asked for 5th wheel grease and thats what they gave me (see above). They said its "good stuff" very resistant to heat. I had to call a few places though.
Its so wierd how it works. When i put the shaft back on it felt the same but no clunk when driving! When I was greasing the shaft and working it in, the shaft did actuate alot smoother though. The hose clamp is the way to go too. It looks profesional! They should have used grease and a removable clamp to begin with.
Go for it it was really easy and totally worth the effort! Let us know how it goes for you....you won't be dissapointed!

Its amazing how these things get figured out on this forum. I would have NEVER found the problem!
Awesome, thanks for the info. To remove the shaft, I know you take off the upper U-joint bolt, but what do you do next? Does it just pull out somehow?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jamooche
Awesome, thanks for the info. To remove the shaft, I know you take off the upper U-joint bolt, but what do you do next? Does it just pull out somehow?
Remove the upper bolt on the steering shaft then the bottom and actuate the shaft (push together slightly) to remove. Its really that simple! Reverse order to install. There's a write up on here somewhere with pictures. I think its on this post (page 2)?
Cheers...let me know how it goes.

Remember not to turn your steering wheel while the shaft is off....very important!

Last edited by cmpmacchia; 08-20-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by shayu
i did this tonight finally!!!after 10 minutes test driving,be honestly,it still slightly clunk ,but enough for u to forget about it.i opened a hole on the plastic boot,and tapped it,the problem for now is how can i reseal the boot??tap seems not the best way,any answers??
Not sure how to re-seal it? I don't think you can. Why didn't you just remove the shaft and pull the boot down after removing the clamp? Just use a hose clamp to secure the boot after. I did mine this way and it looks really professional. I can post pictures if you like.
Also when the boot is removed it makes it easier to apply the 5th wheel grease.
I don't like the poke a hole method because once the boot is compromised its always compromised. I don't think it can be replaced.

I'm glad it got rid of your clunk though!
Old 08-24-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by shayu
i was thinking probably the clunk will come back soon or later,i need do this again one daymaybe every month?every 5000miles?so,open a hole should be a easy way to regrease.who knows.
i jus bought a high temp glue which can be working up to 350°C,hope this helps.
Shayu, even if you have to do it every 5000k the shaft literally takes 5 min to take off. Its easier than doing an oil change.
But anyway I'm glad to hear you solved your clunk problem for now. Just some info, If you ever need a new shaft I hear they're not very expensive. I've heard anywhere from $60 - $120.
Take care Shayu!
Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

I picked up a needle at Advanced Auto this weekend. I didn't grease it yet but we'll see how well it works.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I still haven't done the greasing so I can't help with that. However, when I loosened the upper u-joint bolt, pulled the shaft up a few mm and retightened, the clunk has gone away about 98% of the time. I've driven about 500+ miles since doing this both on road and wheeling. I'd try doing that too.

Quick Reply: Attention all clunky steering people