Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

Old 12-10-2007, 09:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hiontach
i think someone should only use this guide as a temporary fix until they could get to a professional alignment shop... aka with the computer and digital measurements. if the vehicle is not in the manufacturer's specs (geometry recalculated for the lift, of course)... one will seriously beat up suspension components and tires.

it's always a good idea to get an alignment after extreme off-roading.

oh yeah, and a "front-end" alignment is nonsense in this day and age... a 4-wheel alignment with camber/caster/toe adjustments makes much more sense.

sorry, since i work in a shop i get a little frustrated with basic vehicle maintenance at times!
Guess what? I work in a shop too! I think This write up is right on. My Hunter alignment rack didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. In fact It told me several things were wrong when in fact the computer was wrong. There is nothing a professional alignment shop is going to tell you that a good tape measure, angle finder, a long piece of string and a little commom sense won't.

Were dealing with straight axles here. Center the axles so they are parallel. set your desired caster and center the steering wheel.

Great write up Eddie!!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i went to check my alignment today and found that i have a pathetic 4.5 degrees of castor.. time for adjustable arms, lol.. and my tires have no mold seam in the middle which means its just about impossible to get an accurate measurement for the toe... dang, i guess i'll have to buy one of those 12 dollar toe checker tools from Harbor frieght
Old 12-11-2007, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
What can I say, you can think what you want. And, I will disagree especially if you've just installed a 2"-3" lift and without new adjustable control arms or adjustable track bars as re-centering your steering wheel really is all that is needed. If you have adjustable track bars, then re-centering your axle(s) can easily be done as well and accurately using this write-up.

And I disagree. So long as was installed correctly, every bolt tightened to torq spec and nothing gets bent or damaged, nothing should change.

Other than having your rear axle re-centered and if needed, your pinion/driveshaft angle set, nothing else needs to be done in the rear. As far as the front end goes, your toe will not change after doing a lift due to the new steering setup and so little to NO adjustment is required on it. Caster definitely needs to be addressed after a lift but unless you have the means to address it (i.e. adjustable control arms or cam bolts), nothing can be done here by a shop or otherwise. And, as far as camber goes, this is a Jeep with solid axles and unless they're bent, there is no camber on them or at least none that can be adjusted.

No apologies necessary. I've just taken my vehicles into too many so called reputable 'shops' and have had them screw things up and so my frustration with them has encouraged me to learn how to work on my own Jeep. And, now I'm just trying to help others learn to do the same.

lol, i didn't mean any harm or anything. i think this is a fantastic write-up (i used something similar to this write-up on my old ZJ)! i just wanted to address caution because alignments can be risky business for someone without experience!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL!! No harm done and I understand where you're coming from. My only point was that you can only gain experience by 'doing' and it has been my experience that more times than not, the people who should have it - don't. I wish it weren't true but I can't count how many times it has been.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 AM
JK Jedi Master

awesome write up as always

Where was this during the summmer and fall.

It'll have to wait till spring!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Outstanding

The best right up and money saved. I learned a lot and I'm applying it all over the place. I agree with doing it yourself. I've always steered clear of alignments, now that I have done it I don't know why. I believe the full jeep experience is doing work yourself, that way you can fix it on the trail. Now I just need to learn more about Transmissions and gears.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as we're on the subject,

My front tires were wearing slightly more on the outer edges than the inner. I'd put about 7k on them and hadn't rotated them until recently (I know, I know ). It's only noticeable because on the outer edges, the siping marks are barely visable and on the inside they are still clear.

Is this normal? If not, what problem does this symptom suggest?

BTW, I'm running a 2" FT BB with 34's. I'm running the front trac bar bracket that came w/ the kit and still running the stock trac bars (about to go to a 4" kit though).
Old 12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Holy Shnikey's Wayoflife...if nothing else that is just the best picture/diagram of the steering components for the JK. I dont know how you did that, but I am going to print that out, blow it up and post in my garage...so when I get a brain-fart I can glance up and see what the hell i was supposed to be doing.

Thanks..
Old 12-11-2007, 05:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
As long as we're on the subject,

My front tires were wearing slightly more on the outer edges than the inner. I'd put about 7k on them and hadn't rotated them until recently (I know, I know ). It's only noticeable because on the outer edges, the siping marks are barely visable and on the inside they are still clear.

Is this normal? If not, what problem does this symptom suggest?

BTW, I'm running a 2" FT BB with 34's. I'm running the front trac bar bracket that came w/ the kit and still running the stock trac bars (about to go to a 4" kit though).
It could just be the normal cornering forces on the outside of the tires, or it could be too much toe-in. When you run your hand across the tread, do you feel any sharp edges on the tread blocks that make them feel "scalloped"? If so, check your toe-in (actually you should do that anyway).
Old 12-11-2007, 06:16 PM
JK Junkie

Nice WOL,now i can actually tell what i'm looking at under there.......thanks.

Quick Reply: Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment