JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Write-Ups (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/)
-   -   blacked the inside of my hardtop duplicolor truck bed liner (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/blacked-inside-my-hardtop-duplicolor-truck-bed-liner-19277/)

roadking54 10-07-2010 11:31 AM

Tackled this project last weekend with this thread and other's experience as a guide. The sanding and prep work was a ton of work, and I probably went overboard, but it turned out awesome!

The inside is blacked-out with Duplicolor bedliner (managed to use 8 cans) and now looks better and is more scrach resistant then the outside of the hard top.

Next for me is Soundcoat headliners! :thumbsup:

cletusthepipeman 10-14-2010 08:48 PM

looks sharp

how many cans did it take?

is it still holding up well?

ntropy 10-15-2010 10:15 AM

I'm trying to grow a set so I can do this mod, the results from those who have done it look awesome. My question is: is it worth the time/effort to remove the rear glass/wiper motor, or can everything back there be masked/papered off well enough?

roadking54 10-15-2010 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ntropy (Post 1894431)
I'm trying to grow a set so I can do this mod, the results from those who have done it look awesome. My question is: is it worth the time/effort to remove the rear glass/wiper motor, or can everything back there be masked/papered off well enough?

It's well worth it. Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of work and took my all weekend, but I went overboard with prep and had limited experience in this department.

Most of the hardware to remove is on the (2) freedom top panels, and it takes 5 minutes with your torx wrench. Masking everything off takes quite a while. I did not remove the tailgate glass or motor, just masked it all off with great success.

I did many light coats over an afternoon until I was satisfied with the coverage and finish. I used 8 cans and could have used one more. But, I probably could have gotten away with less if I had more rattle-can experience.

I painted the (2) freedom panels last....after I had perfected my techniqe....as i wanted them to be absolutely flawless since they're really all you see when sitting up front.

Go for it. Good luck.

ntropy 10-16-2010 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by roadking54 (Post 1894458)
It's well worth it. Don't get me wrong, it was a lot of work and took my all weekend, but I went overboard with prep and had limited experience in this department.

Most of the hardware to remove is on the (2) freedom top panels, and it takes 5 minutes with your torx wrench. Masking everything off takes quite a while. I did not remove the tailgate glass or motor, just masked it all off with great success.

I did many light coats over an afternoon until I was satisfied with the coverage and finish. I used 8 cans and could have used one more. But, I probably could have gotten away with less if I had more rattle-can experience.

I painted the (2) freedom panels last....after I had perfected my techniqe....as i wanted them to be absolutely flawless since they're really all you see when sitting up front.

Go for it. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement; I'm in the middle of it this weekend, so far it's going as planned...

windycityjeep 10-16-2010 07:00 PM

lookin good!!!!

NormalJeep 10-16-2010 08:39 PM

I finally started on the freedom panels - the thing that's messing me up the most is the nozzle getting clogged up on the duplicolor liner and coughing up clumps of liner. I've pained stuff before, but never had this happen so frequently. How often are all of you stopping to remove and clean your nozzles?

thatsnotmanners 10-17-2010 03:30 AM

Is there anybody here that has used bedliner on their hardtop that has fitted the hotheads headliners. I am just wondering if you can stick the velcro directly on to this stuff or do the contact areas need to be left bare?

fandango777 10-18-2010 08:36 AM

looks great :thumbsup:

hope to do that to mine one of these days!

ChrisLe 10-18-2010 08:40 AM

Did my hardtop last weekend. It came out perfect thanks to the writeup provided here. Its an easy job and well worth doing for those who are thinking about it...